Using IVR on a 2nd asterisk server over SIP channel

I have an asterisk with an IVR, working fine. One of the menus of the IVR, I want to redirect to a 2nd asterisk, which it is working fine, with the following config. The problem is, when I use an IVR on the 2nd asterisk, it doesn’t work. The dial tones don’t work on the 2nd IVR, I cannot use the menus there, but when the 2nd IVR’s default option runs (the secretary) the voice call works just fine.
So the problem is, sending dial tones over SIP trunk from the 1st asterisk to the 2nd, for the use of IVR.

server1-sip.conf:
[sip-trunk]
host=10.105.51.13
type=friend
context=from-trunk
insecure=port,invite
dtmfmode=inband
qualify=yes
relaxdtmf=yes
directmedia=no

server1-extensions.conf:
[from-trunk]
exten => _.,n,Dial(SIP/57614@10.31.65.110)
exten => _.,n,Hangup

You need to provide the configuration for both sides. As well why are you using inband DTMF instead of RFC2833?

1 Like

Sorry, the 2nd server is out of rich now, but the config is almost same (copy pasted)
Also I should probably be able to use RFC2833. again, inband DTMF was a copy paste from some internet site. Is it related to the problem?

It may not be related, but it makes it extremely hard to debug further. Inband DTMF is sent as audio. With RFC2833 it’s sent as specific packets in RTP, so they show up using “rtp set debug on”.

The 2nd server is an elastix with following config.
There is a trunk defined and just the peer detail is configured as follows:
type=friend
transport=yes
relaxdtmf=yes
qualify=yes
insecure=port,invite
host=192.168.254.6
dtmfmode=inband
directmedia=no
context=from-trunk
Also there is an inbound route defined with just the following configuration:
DID number:57614
action: IVR

The IVR action is already used on all other inbound routes and is working fine.

OK. I changed inband to RFC2833 and it’s working now. But why?

You might have been using a codec that only supports speech.

Why on on earth do you have insecure set on a server that you control, and which doesn’t appear to have a secret? As it name implies, this is something you should only use when strictly needed, not something you should copy from cookbook configurations.

Totally agreed. I am just in the middle of configuration. now that it works, I’ll move to config it even more, including security (which I’ve never done before, between 2 asterisks.)