Upgrading 1.4 to 1.6 and connecting to 1.4

Hi all,

I`m new to this forum and I apologies if this question has been already asked and answered.

We currently have 2 asterisk servers. One is in US, Chicago (version 1.4.0) and the second one is in Romania, Arad (version 1.4.2). We have a very large customer support project so the servers are really helping us a lot. The servers connect one to another so calls from RO to US can be made through asterisks servers and the same from US to RO. My question is, if i upgrade the server from Chicago which is version 1.4.0 to 1.6.1 will it still be able to connect to the server from Arad which is 1.4.2 ? If one is 1.6.1 and the other 1.4.2, will I have problems in interconnecting them ? I`m planing to upgrade the server from Arad too but not right now, maybe in a month or two.

Thanks in advanced for all your answers

It should work fine, without knowing exactly how you have connected them, its hard to say for sure.

Your asterisk boxes most likely talk to each other by IAX or SIP which are standard protocols, independent of which version of Asterisk you use.

You would want to have a reason to upgrade the server, i.e. 1.6 offers you functionality you need and do not have presently. Otherwise, do not upgrade just for the sake of having the latest version.