Trying to use an noise filter on calls

Hello, i’m working on an asterisk configuration, i would like to be able to make a call with a noise filter with a g729 codec, i’ve added the file, it run perfect but the filter isn’t working.
I’m thinking about to use the decode & encode function of the filter in the dialplan to be sure the filter is on but i’m not quite sure about this solution and don’t see how to make it happen.
thanks for your help.

Although I’m not familiar with the DENOISE feature, it wouldn’t at all surprise me if G.729 so distorts the spectrum that it wouldn’t work.

What is the nature of the noise you are trying to reduce?

Also, as hearing aid users will know, really good noise reduction is beyond the state of the art. In particular, do not expect noise reduction to change audio from unintelligible to intelligible; the mot it will do is reduce the listener fatigue.

Details of the dialplan, et.c, would also be helpful. Especially as you are dealing with a feature I had never heard of before, and I suspect is very rarely used.

G.729 is a vocoder based codec, so I would expect it to try and interpret noise as speech, so, when decode, it may be much more difficult to distinguish from genuine speech . I’d actually expect noise plus speech to get encoded as speech, but not the intended speech.

If you are getting a cocktail party effect from other agents in a all centre, you probably need to investigate acoustic screening, or noise cancelling microphones, rather than processing of the media.

The synopsis suggests DENOISE is best for analogue lines, which are generally coded using basically linear codecs, and are subject to white noise.

Although there is nothing in the synopsis to say it is restricted to Speex, it is implemented by code that seems to be part of the Speex codec. It’s possible that that code is being borrowed for more general use, but it is worth noting that it is described as a pre-processor. That makes sense in terms of what I said above. as Speex is also a vocoder based codec, so one wants to eliminate the noise whilst the signal is still linear, before the aggressive encoding is applied.

it’s a custom G729 codec, with a custom noise filter in it but it isn’t link to the codec. The codec don’t use the filter, it’s possible to use the filter in commande line tough. The filter is meant to filter ambient noise.
And i forgot to say i deactivated the DENOISE.

My dialplan

[general]
static=yes
writeprotect=no
clearglobalvars=no
Set(DENOISE(rx)=off)
Set(DENOISE(tx)=off)
Set(__SIP_CODEC=g729)

[globals]
CONSOLE=Console/dsp
IAXINFO=guest
TRUNK=DAHDI/G2