Symlink from Modules Failed res_digium_phone.conf

So I’ve been working getting my FreePBX server setup like I like it. I noticed I was getting the following error on the status page:

Symlink from modules failed retrieve_conf failed to sym link: /etc/asterisk/res_digium_phone.conf from digium_phones/etc (Already exists, not a link) This can result in FATAL failures to your PBX. If the target file exists and not identical, the symlink will not occur and you should rename the target file to allow the automatic sym link to occur and remove this error, unless this is an intentional customization. Added 31 minutes ago (retrieve_conf.SYMLINK)

I modified my res_digium_phone.conf per this post:
viewtopic.php?p=188927

I initially started out without having made this modification but had issues loading the DPMA module. Everything has worked like a charm as far as my system goes, I just want to be sure I’m not leaving something that will cause issues down the road.

I made that suggestion on that thread to help and get feedback from a particular user about a particular thing they were trying to do. I didn’t get any feedback. :frowning:

You shouldn’t have any real problems, I don’t think, for now; but if there are ever any additional files made that need to be linked in, you would.

Cheers

Thanks Malcolm. Was I supposed to use the res_digium_phone.conf.sample file? Initially, I tried using it but I wasn’t able to load the DPMA module. It may have been my file permissions, initially causing the problems, but I had already read your post and liked the “less busy” file you provided. I created the file and changed permissions to reflect asterisk ownership so I may have jumped a little bit ahead.

No, the sample file that’s in the res_digium_phone tarballs isn’t a sample file for FreePBX. If you’re using the Digium Phones Addon for FreePBX, it maintains the config files by itself.

If you’re not using the Digium Phones Addon for FreePBX, I don’t recommend what we did for FreePBX; instead, you’re better off creating templates for things and pulling in those templates, that you’ve dropped into other files…I’d be a lot more inclined to separate things futher…one for each type.

I am using the Digium Phones Addon for FreePBX. So should I remove my res_digium_phone.conf file? If I’m going to use FreePBX I’d rather allow it to maintain those configs and keep my fingers out of them. I can appreciate maintaining asterisk from the command line, but I do like allowing FreePBX to “drive”. This allows me to delegate some of the maintenance to interns and other folks in the organization without too much concern.

Right now, you don’t have a real problem, so I’d do nothing.

Cheers