Switchvox P-Asserted & From Header Issue

I am hoping this forum can help with my switchvox issue…

Here is my issue, I recently changed my SIP provider, after creating a new SIP Provider in switchvox I set it to P-Asserted in the from header options.

Downside is the number does not show correctly to the B caller. WIERDLY it shows what’s in the “Your Account ID” field from the first tab. I do not need to use this field but it’s compulsory. I could put anything in, in theory. If I put ABC it would work, BUT if I put a telephone number in there, well, that’s what gets shown to all callers getting a call from the SIP when P-Asserted is on.
This information is being displayed in the FROM header in the SIP INVITE.
The P-Asserted line/data is correct though, just my supplier doesn’t want to use it to present the number to the caller, they want to use the FROM field.

Who is doing things right, who is doing things wrong?
Maybe, my predecessor, had some funny setting changed in the guts of the PBX to make it work with the old provider, could that be an option?

Thanks in advance for any help.

User-Agent: Asterisk PBX 16.8.0-7.6.2.rl.101895.55194f5

No it can’t. The forum only supports the open source code. You need to go to Sangoma’s support page for their commercial products.

However, it sounds like Switchvox is behaving correctly. There was a recent question about a provider that misuses PAI for account identification. I can’t remember if and how it was resolved, but I’m pretty sure some of the proposals required manual manipulation of the Asterisk dialiplan. Maybe you have the same provider.

Thanks for this message.
Sure it’s not the ideal place for a switchvox question.
Out of curiosity, why do you think it’s correct behaviour for the from to be something completely non phone number related when p-asserted is used?

Surely it should be a phone number?

Nothing in SIP should be a phone number. Things may represent phone numbers, but the common use of SIP is actually a special case.

Typically, on outgoing calls, via service providers, one has to register with the provider, and it is mandatory that From: is the address of record, which is effectively the account identifier, in that case. Most providers expect the address of record in all outgoing calls. Given that customers may well be behind NAT and there may be more than one system behind the NAT, they typically cannot rely on IP address to identify the calling account, so have to rely on From. PAI and RPID provide a mechanism to pass on information about the actual source of the call. I think RFC 3325 makes it pretty clear that PAI reflects the original source of the call, not the point where it entered a public network.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.