Spamassassin high CPU use

Hello All,

Asterisk 11 installed from repos for CentOS 6. Also running FreePBX along with.

Have been running this setup,for well over a year now.
Problem: Now hourly (at 25 after the hour?),I see many processes,of spamassasin running and being run as asterisk.It will gradually run up to 85% cpu usage,then tails off.This cycle takes about 6-7 minutes,then the CPU usage is back to normal,and spamassassin processes have disappeared. I don’t ever remember seeing this in the past. I can see at /var/lib/asterisk,there is a dir for .spamassassin. Within this directory there are several bayes.lock.server.name files existing. I have never paid any attention to this before.

Can someone lead me in the right direction as to what may be causing this. I did a search here,and surprisingly,I get no returns on a search.

I might add i have of course recently done a yum update on the system,and spamassassin was updated.

Thanks,
Barry

[quote=“brcisna”]Hello All,

Asterisk 11 installed from repos for CentOS 6. Also running FreePBX along with.

Have been running this setup,for well over a year now.
Problem: Now hourly (at 25 after the hour?),I see many processes,of spamassasin running and being run as asterisk.It will gradually run up to 85% cpu usage,then tails off.This cycle takes about 6-7 minutes,then the CPU usage is back to normal,and spamassassin processes have disappeared. I don’t ever remember seeing this in the past. I can see at /var/lib/asterisk,there is a dir for .spamassassin. Within this directory there are several bayes.lock.server.name files existing. I have never paid any attention to this before.[/quote]
Are you even using spamassassin? If not, start with removing the spamassassin package to start.

Then check /etc/passwd and find out why spamassassin thinks its home directory is /var/lib/asterisk. You’ll then need to check for proper ownership and permissions for the asterisk user to make sure it hasn’t somehow been changed to spamassassin.

You should also check the maillog and messages to find out what spamassassin is doing.

Are you the server admin? These should be pretty simple techniques to follow to fix this problem.

Thanks for response.

I should have given more detail. This server is running as a mail server also… I have run this server for probably 8 years,albeit with several versions of CentOS, so am very familiar with spamassassin, configs.
Seeings how i have never run into this,I am assuming this cycle has something to do with the voicemail forwarding which i do see in mail logs,as i always have,I simply have never seen the high CPU,with asterisk,running many of the spamassassin,were I have only seen root,as user running spamassassin, processes.

I see nothing in scheduled cron jobs ,that asterisk,or FreePBX has placed to run,the actual, voicemail forwarding,so it appears this is surely run,by a script,in the asterisk,directory somewere?

Thansk,
Barry

[quote=“brcisna”]Thanks for response.

I should have given more detail. This server is running as a mail server also… I have run this server for probably 8 years,albeit with several versions of CentOS, so am very familiar with spamassassin, configs.
Seeings how i have never run into this,I am assuming this cycle has something to do with the voicemail forwarding which i do see in mail logs,as i always have,I simply have never seen the high CPU,with asterisk,running many of the spamassassin,were I have only seen root,as user running spamassassin, processes.

I see nothing in scheduled cron jobs ,that asterisk,or FreePBX has placed to run,the actual, voicemail forwarding,so it appears this is surely run,by a script,in the asterisk,directory somewere?[/quote]

I’m not sure what cycle you’re talking about, but have you checked /etc/passwd to make sure none of asterisk’s files are owned by spamassassin or vice-versa?

Have you checked maillog and messages for any indication of what might be running and causing this problem?

Have you run “rpm -V spamassassin” to make sure ownership and permissions are correct?

Have you looked in /etc/cron.d for any indication of cron processes that have been set up?