[solved] D70 phone configuration

1. The cert version of asterisk, needs to correspond with the DMCA version.

2. The README found in the res_phone-x.x downloadable file has a decent guide for DPMA installation.

3. Key obtained from Digium store, emailed to an account holder.

4. Install key, Google to research methods.

5. Watching the video guide helped.

Seriously?

In the Video description you have all the useful links including the User’s GUIDE, download it and READ IT! In that you can see all configurations related to configure the phones.

Also if you don’t want to spend time to learn how to do that, you can contact digium support, by registering your phones and open a case. And finally you can buy an expert time in the Job forums to do it for you.

[quote=“navaismo”]Seriously?

In the Video description you have all the useful links including the User’s GUIDE, download it and READ IT! In that you can see all configurations related to configure the phones.

Also if you don’t want to spend time to learn how to do that, you can contact digium support, by registering your phones and open a case. And finally you can buy an expert time in the Job forums to do it for you.[/quote]

I should have read the readme from the downloaded packages, sorry about that. Thanks for the tip.

I think the purpose of the video is promotional/informational, not a copy&paste guide. The copy&paste procedure is already in the User’s Guide.

I think you are right.

The README does contain the installation guide, and it worked out well in terms of having it claim that the license is installed properly. I just need to to work out the parked calls now.

Howdy,

wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/ … ium+Phones

It makes for good reading :smile:

What is it you’re trying to accomplish?

When used with the DPMA, the phones have a Park soft key, if you’ve properly configured the DPMA (see the parking_exten and parking_transfer_type phone configuration options). We recommend the blind, not attended option. When it’s setup then, and you’ve also configured the context your SIP peer for the phone is in to contain a call parking feature code (see the Parking section of wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/ … h+the+DPMA), then when you press the Park key, the call will end up in a lot. The phone will tell you what lot, and you can press a key to go see the parked calls.

Parked calls is a dedicated app on the phone, so if you hit the Apps button, you can also access the Parking lot viewer.

What I documented in the wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/ … h+the+DPMA page also shows you how to setup Asterisk to hint a Parking lot, so that, if you want, you can subscribe a Rapid Dial (BLF) key on the phone to watch a specific lot.

Malcom,

I’m trying to make the parked calls show up on the sidecar, as a client asked about it. The authenticated version of asterisk is installed.

Hm, didnt see “Blind” and “Attended” transfers, on the D70. I’ll keep looking.

What do you mean “show up on the sidecar?”

They won’t appear out of the blue. First, you’ll have to ensure that your dialplan context for whatever the SIP peer is in includes a parking lot. Then you’ll have to ensure that Asterisk is setting a hint on the lot. Then, you’ll need to create a contact on the phone for its Rapid Dial keys that subscribes to that lot.

Then, when you park a call into that lot, you’ll get an indicator light on your phone that says something’s parked there.

If you want to use the Park softkey to make the park happen, then you’ll have to be using the DPMA. Otherwise, you’ll be doing feature-code based parking, and you’ll have to dial that in yourself when you want to park a call.

Since you say you’re pressing Transfer, I’m guessing that you’re not using the DPMA, otherwise you’d probably be using the handy “Park” softkey. If that’s the case, then correct, the parking_exten and parking_transfer_type phone options from the DPMA configuration (res_digium_phone.conf) don’t apply.

But, my points about setting up hints and getting phones to subscribe to lots still stands. And, it’s documented here:
wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/ … h+the+DPMA

Yes, that’s for DPMA operation, but the point about setting up dialplan hints still stands as an example.

Ok, configure hints and the sidecar, sounds good.

One problem, on the internet there seems to be no info regarding the sidecar and it’s configs. That might have been why I expected it to work out of the box, my apologizes.

1. logging into the web gui of the D70 - no sidecar settings

2. manually pressing the menu button on the unit and looking through the menus - no sidecar settings

3. Downloading the only available manuals or info, that one quick datasheet pdf - no sidecar settings

4. Searching the polycom site - no sidecar settings

5. Searching the internet / blogs - no sidecar settings

Any ideas?

Howdy,

On the internet there is information regarding the Rapid Dial keys and their configuration. :smile:
It’s all on the wiki:
wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/ … ium+Phones

The Rapid Dial keys aren’t configured via the phone’s web GUI. They’re configured via the DPMA or they’re configured by manually provisioning the phone with your generated XML file.

Contacts on the phone are delivered as XML files. The construction of a contact is outlined here:
wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/DIGIUM/Contacts

So, you’ll make XML files containing contacts that conform to the example there.

If you’re using the DPMA, then you’ll load those contacts files onto the phone using the “contact” phone type option, as noted here:
wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/ … figuration
Those files are loaded from the directory specified by the “file_directory” general section option (noted on the above-mentioned wiki page); and they’re delivered to the phone directly by the DPMA.

Each contacts XML file can contain multiple groups, each defined by a group_name. For the contacts that you want to appear on the Rapid Dial (BLF) keys, you’ll specify that group_name as the phone type option “blf_contact_group”

If you’re not using the DPMA, then you roll your own XML files to provision the phone, and they’ll be provided over HTTP(s) (or FTP(s) if you’re on phone firmware 1.1). You’ll be using the same contacts XML files for the contacts. Important things are the blf_contact_group setting and the construction of the contacts elements. As with the DPMA, the blf_contact_group setting should point to a group_name as defined in your contacts XML file itself. The contacts element tells the phone how and where to retrieve the contacts XML files from. For more information on this, see:

Cheers

Thanks for the help.

It looks like things got working after the steps.

Dude, I setup a few D40 phones remotely. I never touched but the information in the Users Guide and in the Wiki are enough to setup with Contacts,Choosing the config on every phone.

I think you need to read carefully the instructions.

Glad I can help. :smile:

Thanks, navaismo. :smile:

The best place for Support on Digium’s commercial products, including Digium phones, is our Support department. Before coming to the forums, or doing anything else, we really, really want you to contact us directly for Support. That’s the best way we can help. You can contact us by telephone at +1 256 428 6000 or by opening a web case - digium.com/en/users/support-create-a-case/

The information provided in the documentation should be more than sufficient to allow you to setup a Digium D70 phone so that calls parked into a parking lot result in a BLF on the sidecar subscribed to that lot that turns green. Thus, anyone subscribed to that lot can see that there’s a call in it. And, anyone pressing their BLF key assigned to that lot will pickup the call.

The documentation that we provide on our wiki, specific to Digium phones - wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/ … ium+Phones - is actually used by our own QA department when they go through their validation process. QA’s goal is to break things, to find edge cases, to act like a customer. That means they’re just like you. If something doesn’t work, or works poorly, they let us know.

The documentation for the phones, especially the sections of documentation pertaining to the BLF keys, subscriptions, and the information specific to creating and subscribing to parking lot hints, has been available since the 1.0.0 release; so, it’s not new documentation that no one else has used, or been successful with.

Returning to the beginning, you said:

Let’s work our way through to what I think is the expected result.

Asterisk has a Call Parking feature. It’s a built-in feature. It’s enabled in the /etc/asterisk/features.conf configuration file. Here’s a basic features.conf file that enables Call Parking:

That means that Asterisk will create an extension, 700, into which calls can be transferred. When they’re transferred in, Asterisk will put them into lots (parkpos, lots 701 through 705 in this case), in the order in which they’re transferred. The first call transferred in to extension 700 is parked in lot 701. If a second call is transferred into extension 700 while the first call is still parked, then that second call will be parked in lot 702. When a call is in a lot, someone may call into that lot number in order to retrieve that call. Thus, with calls in lots 701 and 702, I can dial either 701 or 702 to retrieve a specific call.

Having said that, it’s important to notice the context specified. In this case, it’s called “parkedcalls.” That means that my dialplan context to which my peers are mapped must also #include the parkedcalls context. Thus, if my SIP peer, from sip.conf, were configured like:

Then my dialplan, extensions.conf, context “sipphones” must include the “parkedcalls” context, e.g:

Thus, the SIP peer, mysippeer, can now transfer a call to extension 700, and it’ll get parked. That happens in the implicit parkedcalls context, using the Park application (it’ll happen automatically, you don’t have to set anything). mysippeer can also dial the lot number of that parked call to retrieve that call; this also happens in the implicit parkedcalls context - (it also happens automatically, you don’t have to set anything).

So, now we’ve got a SIP phone that can use Asterisk’s call parking feature. Next, we need understand how to create subscriptions, so that devices can request status. What do I mean? You’ve seen BLF work before - when someone’s phone is ringing, a light on your phone, that represents their phone blinks. When someone is on the phone, a light on your phone, that represents their phone, is solid green. That works because of subscriptions. The phone “subscribes” to an address (URI) on the Asterisk server, that’s been mapped (inside Asterisk) to the device state of something.

In this case, we want to map the device state of a parking lot to something that a phone can subscribe to. So, back to our dialplan example. Asterisk creates subscriptions with something called “hints.” And, to create a hint for a parking lot, we’ll modify our dialplan slightly:

There, we have new lines like:

exten => 701,hint,park:701@parkedcalls

That tells Asterisk to create a subscription handler (hint) for 701, of a special type for parked calls, for the 701 parking lot of the parkedcalls context. That relates to what we set in features.conf earlier.

I made 5, one for each lot as configured in features.conf

Next, you need to configure your Digium phone to actually create a subscription to 701. You can’t create contacts on Digium phones via the web GUI, and the local contacts that you create for the local phonebook on the phone itself, via the phone’s TUI menu don’t allow you to create subscription URIs. You said you’re using the DPMA, so let’s walk through that.

First, open your /etc/asterisk/res_digium_phone.conf configuration file. Look for the file_directory option in the [general] section. It specifies the location on disk where the DPMA is going to read in contacts to be provisioned to the phone. The default is /var/lib/asterisk/digium_phones.

So, go to that directory, e.g. cd /var/lib/asterisk/digium_phones

Once you’re there, we need to create a contact. Contacts are stored in XML format. We have a great guide to the formatting on our wiki here -
wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/DIGIUM/Contacts

In our case, let’s say we just wanted contacts for just the parking lots. I’m just going to make an example for two contacts here, in a file called mycontacts.xml, since all 5 would take extra room.

Here, you can see that we’ve created a group, ParkedCalls, with two contacts in it. Each contact has a first name, “Parking” and a last name “Lot 1 / Lot 2.” They’re of the type sip. I put a note on them for fun. The subscribe_to field tells the phone where to subscribe. The phone will be subscribing to 701 or 702. Asterisk will interpret that subscription and place it into the context to which the sip peer is assigned [sipphones].

Now that we have that, we need to make sure that the phone is going to be loaded with this contacts file, mycontacts.xml.

In the “phones” section of your DPMA config, there’s an option called “contact.” That option needs to be set to the filename of the contacts file that you want to load from the file_directory onto the phone. The phone supports multiple contact groupings. That way, you can load in a grouping of Sales people, Support people, Friends, etc. Because of this, the phone needs to be told which group you want to see on your BLF keys. This option is controlled by the blf_contact_group option.

Thus we’d have

That’s the xml contacts file we created earlier - mycontacts.xml
And, the group from that file that we want to be on the BLF keys - ParkedCalls

Note that in the above example, I’ve omitted all other options that you might be setting for a phone. There are a lot of them, they’re documented here -

With that done, issue a reconfigure to the DPMA so it loads its new configuration. This can be done from the Asterisk CLI:

module reload res_digium_phone.so

Then you can reload your phone so it picks up the changes:

digium_phones reload phone myphone

So, let’s say someone calls you. You can answer, press Transfer, dial 700, press park, and your light for Lot 1 should turn on.

Now, to the rest of what you said…just because the phone that’s being parked, the caller, hears MoH, doesn’t mean it was parked. It’ll hear MoH as soon as the callee presses the transfer key. That puts the caller on hold. Do you see anything on the Asterisk CLI about “Park” when you press the Park key on the Digium phone?

this thread is a great resource… im just getting started with Digium phones and I really like them so far… I have one of each type… the sound quality is EXCELLENT… ! right up there with polycom

will the config files for the DPMA worked the EXEC’s? we are running embedded so running realtime is not a good option for us… what we do is use EXEC’s in our config files so we can output the data to the configs in a sort of dynamic way…
it works great for us… so im wondering if I create the contacts xml files, then use EXEC’s in the /etc/asterisk/res_digium_phone.conf file…

with our Aastra phones we actually shoot the configs in XML down to a running phone… and if it is just button or speed dial changes the phones update without reboot… im looking for a similar operation here… where we dont have to reboot a while group of phones just to add a contact or change a side-car button, etc…

-Christopher

[quote]Conclusion: we got it working perfectly as intended, but it doesn’t show parked calls conveniently, and thus we lost the sale to Cisco, who’s phones can show parked calls on the front of the phone.

Steps to get the D series working

1. Accept that the needed documents are not all online, and that doing it from scratch would be prohibitively time consuming.

2. Call digium support and ask for the “real” guide in pdf form.

3. Realize that many settings will conflict if put in [general] when the system wants them in [phone] of res_digium_phone.conf. You WILL be doing trial and error when the discover protocol is unresponsive. The digium support staff will be able to use what they learned from their experience with you, to better build out the docs a bug list.

4. The cert version of asterisk, needs to correspond with the DMCA or it fails silently

5. The firmware version must be manually updated through the gui, and then gui deactivated to make the protocol work, or it fails silently.

Good Luck![/quote]

Dear Cuban_Cigar with all due respect,

Please don’t confuse people in general. If you don’t like to spend a reasonable time to learn how getting things to work, don’t sell a new solution.

Personally I used DPMA, and sell a service for my customer who wants Digium Phones, so I read the wiki of DPMA, in the wiki I found all the related information to setting up asterisk(sip&extensions conf files), and how to configure the res_digium_phone.conf, also in the tarball you get a sample of the configuration file according to your module version.

Guess what? My customer loves the Digium phones for the simplicity, and how the phones take the configuration from the server. I don’t use BLF for parked calls but you know, if DPMA cant handling you can generate hints to use with all phones in the BLF keys.

And most important I haven’t touched physically a Digium phone yet. Finally the environment to set up DPMA was with vanilla asterisk and other with Freepbx, in both DPMA is working.

About issues, I only found using a VPN or VLAN but that’s another history related with networking.

[quote=“cadillackid”]this thread is a great resource… im just getting started with Digium phones and I really like them so far… I have one of each type… the sound quality is EXCELLENT… ! right up there with polycom

will the config files for the DPMA worked the EXEC’s? we are running embedded so running realtime is not a good option for us… what we do is use EXEC’s in our config files so we can output the data to the configs in a sort of dynamic way…
it works great for us… so im wondering if I create the contacts xml files, then use EXEC’s in the /etc/asterisk/res_digium_phone.conf file…

with our Aastra phones we actually shoot the configs in XML down to a running phone… and if it is just button or speed dial changes the phones update without reboot… im looking for a similar operation here… where we dont have to reboot a while group of phones just to add a contact or change a side-car button, etc…

-Christopher[/quote]

Howdy,

I don’t think anything would prevent you from using an #exec in res_digium_phone.conf; the config parser for Asterisk for #include and #exec isn’t something specific to the DPMA, it lives outside of that, in Asterisk itself.

Yes, you can make changes to speed dials without a reboot. Just change the contacts XML file and issue a "digium_phones reconfigure phone " from the Asterisk CLI or by using the DigiumPhoneReconfigure or DigiumPhoneReconfigureAll manager actions.

[quote]Conclusion: we got it working perfectly as intended, but it doesn’t show parked calls conveniently, and thus we lost the sale to Cisco, who’s phones can show parked calls on the front of the phone.

Steps to get the D series working

1. Accept that the needed documents are not all online, and that doing it from scratch would be prohibitively time consuming.

2. Call digium support and ask for the “real” guide in pdf form.

3. Realize that many settings will conflict if put in [general] when the system wants them in [phone] of res_digium_phone.conf. You WILL be doing trial and error when the discover protocol is unresponsive. The digium support staff will be able to use what they learned from their experience with you, to better build out the docs a bug list.

4. The cert version of asterisk, needs to correspond with the DMCA or it fails silently

5. The firmware version must be manually updated through the gui, and then gui deactivated to make the protocol work, or it fails silently.

Good Luck![/quote]

Yeah, I’m going to jump in here as well.

1. The needed documentation is all online. It’s in a Wiki. I wrote all of that documentation (save a little bit about custom presence states that was originally written by David Vossel), so I kinda, sorta know what I’m talking about here. I’ve also supported a large number of people that had questions about documentation. Any time there was a deficiency in the documentation, it’s been improved. If any actual deficiency in the documentation had been pointed out by this thread, I would have made improvements. Since I don’t think the wiki documentation was actually read, there’s been no need.

2. The real guide in PDF form? Do you know what that came from? The same wiki content available on the wiki. The PDF is older content, it doesn’t contain anything more. Instead, it contains less since it’s older. The PDF was what we made available before the content was on a public wiki. It was generated from a private wiki, the same wiki software that’s on the public wiki. So, you can make your own PDF of the public wiki content if it pleases you. But you should really just be reading the public wiki.

3. Maybe you should have read the public wiki. In older releases, notably the beta releases, there were items in the general section that were duplicated in the phones sections. That’s not good behavior. So, prior to the actual 1.0.0 release, we fixed that. If you’re looking at old PDFs of documentation, they just might be for the beta. Additionally, we’ve moved a lot of stuff around as we’ve improved the functionality of the DPMA. All of that’s documented on the wiki; but, you’d have to read the wiki to see that.

4. The wiki tells you that. -cert5 is tied to DPMA 1.2. -cert4 and earlier are to be used with DPMA 1.0.2. Why the change? We introduced some new features in DPMA 1.2 that are dependent on some new things introduced in -cert5. New phone feature requiring new Asterisk feature. Pretty straight-forward.

5. Not true at all.

And, finally, parked calls show up in the Parked calls application. And, if you want to map parking lots to BLF keys on the phone, so that the activity light for that key goes on when a call’s in that lot, read the wiki docs, or read my many, many posts in this thread before this. Tying a BLF key to a subscription that Asterisk provides for a parking lot isn’t hard, it’s the same process as tying to a phone, only your hint line looks a little different - as is documented on the wiki and earlier in this thread.

is there any way to specify a specific Key number on the side car? many of our customers are visual and so we have written for our aastra phones our own GUI in which the user sees a pictorial of their phone, and can select the Speed dial / BLF key to program… thus allowing them to create custom layouts with empty keys between full ones…

it seems to be much more difficult here to allow this to happen with the D50 / D70 phones. I would also like to be able to use the extra Line keys as well but be able to only use them if a user wishes… setting the config option to start with the line keys vs the sidecar is Ok except that they may only want say Their Boss up there and the rest of their BLF’s on the sidecar…

or in our case we do not use the visual parking application, instead I have done some fancy dialplan footwork and have true single key park / retrieve to a specific slot working…(press the button the call parks, press the same button again, if a call is parked there then it goes to the park pickup and retrieves the call… silencing the announcement makes for a smooth and very fast park… just like putting someone on hold and to the specific slot) so a user may wish to have their “group hold” keys as we call them up on line keys while their regular BLF’s are not. but there is no easy way to specify…

also is the only difference between a rapid dial and a BLF key on the digium phone whether i create a hint / and / or subscribe to uri for that contact?

and finally is there a way to specify a ringing tone for a contact on a BLF key that goes into a “ringing” state? for example. suzie wants to know when her boss receives a call so that the BLF rings, whereas she only wants to see if the sales manager is on the phone or not, hence only wishing visual indication of that contact… This something that every legacy PBX out there does, but I havent found a SIP phone yet that will do it… seems like something that would be great to have…

I put this post in the same thread as it is related to parking and the sidecar buttons…
-Christopher

Negative. They’re taken in order, top down, as specified in the blf_contact_group option.

I’m on a beach, so I can’t verify this…have you tried creating a contact that’s just a space character in the name fields? I know there’s a bug, already solved in internal development builds, with pressing a key that has a blank number assigned, though.

I’ve entered a feature request to allow a more straight forward way to define a blank contact, to result in a blank button.

6, half a dozen. Same thing, just semantics.

Negative, I’ve entered a feature request.

Cheers