Simultaneous Zap calls?

Is it possible to be on a FXO channel with a caller and have asterisk handle another call on the same FXO channel by either adding them to a wait queue or sending then to voice mail?

Seems like you need to add more detail to your question but out of hand I’d say no. Keep in mind that FXO channels tie to trunks that are really just a single connection to the PSTN. You can easily do the queueing if you have multiple ports.

Maybe you can explain further what you’re trying to accomplish.

I would like to be able to handle incoming calls to my phone number regardless of it being in use or not. For example, I’m on the line with someone and someone else calls. It would be nice that instead of that other person getting a busy signal they could instead be queued or sent to leave voice mail.

[quote=“ellives”]Seems like you need to add more detail to your question but out of hand I’d say no. Keep in mind that FXO channels tie to trunks that are really just a single connection to the PSTN. You can easily do the queueing if you have multiple ports.

Maybe you can explain further what you’re trying to accomplish.

Understood. As has been said though, this requires CO support. The PSTN only supports one call at a time to a given number. Call Waiting allows suspending the present call to take the new one, but not what you’re talking about (which is basically a hunt group).

it is possible to do this with a voip channel, isn’t it? If I had a call-in number via Gizmo or FWD, couldn’t I then handle multilpe calls on a single channel? thanks!

that i don’t know…

How about if I forward all incoming POTS calls to a SIP number? Won’t this release the Zap channel and enable me to handle simultaneous calls within a voip channel?

i don’t think this will work. if you forwarded the POTS numbers via the telco directly (as opposed to on your * box) maybe?

We have VoIP provider, who supplies us with 4 SIP based phone numbers. Although these are 4 different numbers, we can use them like hunting group.
I suppose, if you are using ISDN line with 2 numbers, you will be alloewed to receive two calls on same number simultaneously.