Setting up extensions

I am in the process of migrating our office from an AsteriskNOW server to an Asterisk system. The installation was very simple down to even setting up the GUI. Now that everything is set up I am trying to replicate the extensions and such from the other box.

Through the web interface I have attempted to set up the extensions as we have them now but I get the error “Extension is not in preferred range” when I try to set up an extension that is a number less than 6000.

How do i change the valid range for extensions?

I found the file that contains the valid range for extensions. The file is /etc/asterisk/guipreferences.conf and you would change ue_start and ue_end to the range that you would want.

NEW QUESTION:

Are there any default extensions in Asterisk that I should be aware of? And, is there any other files that I will need to make changes too?

I’m not really that hip to AsteriskNOW but I would assume that it puts all it’s config files in the same place as Asterisk does which is /etc/asterisk. If it were me I’d simply copy these files over to your new Asterisk box and then get on with life. But if you’ve erased all these files in the change over that might not be an option. Or perhaps you made a backup. But I would guess these same files in the same format would work from AsteriskNOW to Asterisk.

That would be nice and all, especially considering I cron to upload a backup every night, but I would get absolutely nothing beneficial out of redoing the system as I am.

I am going to guess that there are no Default-Pre-setup-Extensions in Asterisk that I should know about.

Thanks

Also:
Default extentions
2 - Introductory Extension
3 - Introductory Extension
500 - Test IAX demonstration
600 - Echo Test
1234 - Test User

[quote=“iXombie”]I found the file that contains the valid range for extensions. The file is /etc/asterisk/guipreferences.conf and you would change ue_start and ue_end to the range that you would want.

[/quote]

How would I add a new DID range? For instance, I currently have 612xxxxxxx that only has 20 DID’s in it and we just received a new DID block of 612yyyyyyy with an additional 60 DID’s. So I just add another ue_start and ue_end or use commas?

I am able to call in on the new DID’s, so they are routing but when I go to create a new user using the new DID I get the message “Extension is not in preferred range”

Thanks!