Rural telephony service

Hello.

This is my first post, so bear with me please.

I’m trying to implement the following:

I’m in a rural community in central Mexico, here the telephony service is very limited and people are (more or less) poor. Most men in our town go to work to other countries (mainly the USA) to send money back to their families.

Recently we’ve got one ADSL 2Mbps connection (believe me when I tell you it’s an enormous achievement!)

We want to implement a long distance service over Internet so the families here can communicate with the people that is working outside the country, the service by our national phone company is expensive and bad.

We’d like to have 5 extensions (that will act as phone booths) where people can make or receive calls, with one person acting as an operator placing and transfering the calls to each of this “booths”; we want to achieve this with prices that are accesible to our people (we have used Skype but it doesn’t seem to be able to provide the solution we’re looking for)…

I just came back from college and I want to make a difference here, more than profit I’d like to provide a service that is useful to our community (and can pay for its own operation costs)… a friend told me about Asterisk, but while I study all the documentation I would like to ask:

Is Asterisk the right tool to implement what we want?

If not, can you point me in the right direction to achieve this?

TIA

Regards,

Jj

Hello,
Asterisk is the right tool, to start learning about it download and read this book: downloads.oreilly.com/books/9780596510480.pdf.
Then, if you’ll need more help just post your question, as specific as possible, in the support forum and for sure you’ll find help.

Regards.

Marco Bruni

Marco,

thanks for your fast answer is good to know that I’m going in the right direction with Asterisk.

The link you provided (downloads.oreilly.com/books/9780596510480.pdf.) takes me to a “not found” error page… if it is for the book “The Future of Telephony” I’ve already got it and I’m studying it, if it is for something else, please post the link again.

By the way, where can I get a glossary of the technical terms found in TFOT?

Regards,

Jj

You’re right, go to oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510480/index.html and look for “online book”.

This is the 2nd edition, updated for Asterisk 1.4.

I’m sorry but I don’t know, you could try wikipedia or a search with google.

Regards.

Marco Bruni