Running Asterisk from sbin versus etc file

Hi.

I’m super new to Asterisk. I’ve installed Asterisk 1.6.2.17 on a Mac OS X 10.6.8. And, I’ve got a few questions…

I can boot Asterisk, when logged in as root, from both the /usr/sbin and from the /usr/etc .

1. I’m not sure which is more appropriate.

2. I changed the permissions on some of the configuration files in /usr/etc/asterisk. When I tried to do the same in /usr/sbin/asterisk, I can’t get the configuration files to load/become visible, despite changing the permissions on /usr/sbin/asterisk. I’m not sure why…

3. Is it possible to have two versions of Asterisk that are separate?

I’ve got a copy of Asterisk: The Definitive Guide, which I didn’t have when I installed the software. I notice on page 33, I didn’t do steps 9-14. I’m wondering if it’s okay to pick up from there (chown on files in /usr/…and /var/…) but I want to make sure I’m on the right track.

Any help or directives would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

1.6.2.x is unsupported and that isn’t the latest 1.6.2.x. You should use 1.8.5 for new installs today.

The /usr/etc thing is a Mac thing. The normal place for the Asterisk binary is /usr/sbin. Normally …/etc/… should be reserved for configuration files in modern Unix-like systems.

On a VoIP system, you can run multiple instances, providing they all use different port ranges, or possibly interfaces. I’m not sure if this is possible when using hardware devices.

Ah! I see now!

Is it okay to just install 1.8.5,with 1.6.2 already there?

Thanks so much for your help!

Might be from source. No from a package.

It seems I can get both software versions to run (but not at the same time).

Could this be a problem later? Should I de-install 1.6.2?

I’m surprised one didn’t overwrite the other.

I know, I’m surprised as well.

but, I’m having another issue.

One of the “warnings” or “error” messages that I keep getting is the following:

[Aug 22 12:43:30] WARNING[249]: db.c:115 dbinit: Unable to open Asterisk database ‘/Library/Application Support/Asterisk/astdb’: Permission denied

I’m not sure, but I’m guessing that either some permissions need to be changed, or the space in the folder title “Application Support” needs to be eliminated.

Thoughts on this and how to resolve it?

Cheers!