rPath Soft Appliance for Asterisk

There are ISO images of appliances, specifically PoundKey developed by Digium, available for download:

voip-info.org/wiki/view/RPat … Appliances

These work as great distros, as they provide a different set of package priorities than the likes of Asterisk@Home that some of the more advanced users might prefer and a great place to start as it is functioning and ready to go.

For those looking to get FreePBX working with PoundKey:

aussievoip.com/wiki/index.ph … X-PoundKey

Can someone explain to me what exactly these packages do!

I read the information at the link but still cannot figure out what they do.

[quote=“mustardman”]Can someone explain to me what exactly these packages do!

I read the information at the link but still cannot figure out what they do.[/quote]

If you are familiar with TrixBox (previously Asterisk@Home) than you have an example of a ‘software appliance’. Essentially rPath/Digium have built an ISO that gives you what you need, and only what you need, to run Asterisk on the rLinux distro. You may then download this ISO, burn it to a CD, boot from it, follow the install scripts and then have a fully functioning Asterisk server ready to go. No need to install Linux, install/uninstall various packages, download source code, compile, etc.

[quote=“MuppetMaster”][quote=“mustardman”]Can someone explain to me what exactly these packages do!

I read the information at the link but still cannot figure out what they do.[/quote]

If you are familiar with TrixBox (previously Asterisk@Home) than you have an example of a ‘software appliance’. Essentially rPath/Digium have built an ISO that gives you what you need, and only what you need, to run Asterisk on the rLinux distro. You may then download this ISO, burn it to a CD, boot from it, follow the install scripts and then have a fully functioning Asterisk server ready to go. No need to install Linux, install/uninstall various packages, download source code, compile, etc.[/quote]

Ok, that makes sense. I guess since it is quite new and there are already good stable alternatives I won’t get too excited about it until it has been run through it’s paces by everyone.

Hi

You may want to look through the Asterik Business edition spec and you will see that Digium are happy with rPath as that is now what the business edition uses, Having used it in the LAB it seems very stable. Its still not aimed at the novice, AAH/Trixbox holds that crown. but it a very good alternative to installing Linux then Asterisk from scratch.

Ian