Record application reliability

I am evaluating Asterisk to implement my Voice Recording application using SIP VoIP that should scale up to 200 simultaneous calls.
In my tests I observed that the the Asterisk fails recording some calls, especially when the load increases: with 100 calls I found an error probability of about 60-80% while with 10 calls it is about 0-20%. I tried to use different codecs but the results are quite the same, only using the low bit rate codecs like G.723 I reduced the errors to 30% when 100 calls were running.
I measured the errors in terms of recording file created on the hard disk.

The voice menu I used to start recording is the following:
[voicemenu-custom-2]
comment = recordingmenu
alias_exten =
exten = s,1,Answer
exten = s,n,ChanIsAvail(SIP/bridge)
exten = s,n,Read(${AVAILCHAN})
exten = s,n,Set(nchan=${CUT(AVAILCHAN,/,2-)})
exten = s,n,Set(filename=“recordings/from-”${nchan})
exten = s,n,Record(${filename}:g723)

Are there any errors in the voice menu?
Have you ever seen such a problem?

My Asterisk configuration is: Desktop PC, 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 processor, 1 GByte RAM, SATA hard disk, 100 Mbit Ethernet.

Do you think I need a more powerful hardware to support my requirements?

All the calls are always answered, only record seems to fail.

Thanks in advance.

Mirco

Mirco,

Try setting the filename to be on a ramdisk partition. I experienced this type of issue myself and found many problems when trying to record so many calls to a hard disk at one time.

Just make sure you have a cleanup script to remove the recording from the ramdisk once the recording is complete.

-Jarrod

consider using a separate server dedicated to call recording and let the switch send all traffic thru that port. I would not perform call recording on a production server with that many calls. Depends too if you’re doing other things such as G.729 encoding or heavy IVR menus putting a load on asterisk, its safer to offload this process.

Look at software like oreka (orecx for the commercial gui package and g729 support). We demo’d it and loved it.

May thanks.

Supertle, do you think it will be possible running Asterisk and Oreka on the same server during development phase when the performance are not important?

Mirco