Rebuild kernel issues, Asterisk@Home

Hi, my company is looking into using Asterisk for our phone system. I installed Asterisk@Home today and was messing around with it - liking it so far. I am currently running it as a MS Virtual Server 2005 Machine - which does not support USB UHCI. I was able to edit the kernel config to disable RTC (so I can load the zaprtc module). I recompiled the kernel and installed it, and when I reboot and choose the new kernel I get a bunch of errors - about not being able to load some zap modules. Also it says the mac address of my nic is not what it expected.

My question is this: I want to create an EXACT copy of the kernel that was installed with Asterisk@Home, but I want do not want RTC installed into the kernel. It seems to me like the config file I editted was not the one off of which the original kernel was built.

Make sense? Any ideas on how I can get this working? Please let me know if this is unclear.

Thanks,
Josh

Kernel building issues are really outside the scope of this forum. However, there are a couple of things to keep in mind…

Kernel version information is in the Makefile in top of the kernel source tree. Version numbers may have to match as well as kernel config. It’s impossible to know what your problem actually is as you haven’t given any indication of what the error messages say.

Whether or not you’ve got the same .config as the one the original kernel was built with is another matter altogether. That depends on distribution and where you get the kernel source from. I know nothing at all about asterisk@home, which i believe is its own distribution (?).

The other issue is that if you rebuild the kernel, you will probably have to rebuild asterisk. This may or may not be viable with asterisk@home, i don’t know.

If you want to do non-standard things with asterisk@home, i’d suggest building and installing asterisk from scratch from the source code available from http://www.asterisk.org, rather than using asterisk@home.

Thirdly, why don’t you do it properly and get a dedicated machine for it instead of playing around with some MS junk? It doesn’t have to be anything really fancy to run a trial version of asterisk - even a PII with 256MB ram should do the job for a small asterisk system.

all set now, thanks.