[question]about the Features of Asterisk

a lot of features of Asterisk are listed on Voip-info.org. Some of them I can not undersand and did not find useful information in Voip-info.org. I paste the features here, and I will paste more if I encouter another features that I can not unterstand. The answered features will be changed to green color.

1.[color=green]Flexible Extension Logic[/color]
2.[color=green]Interactive Directory Listing[/color]
3 [color=green]is “Local and Remote Call Agents” and “Direct Inward System
Access” the same thing?[/color]
4.Privacy

This applies to the idea that within Asterisk that each extension is entirely programmable. Meaning that when you make a call to/within Asterisk, you go through a ‘dialplan’/script which matches the extension and then allows you to invoke features/logic within that script on how that extension behaves.

The ability to have dial by directory capabilities. Where Asterisk has the ability to allow you to enter in a person’s name via DTMF and then dial. This command:

voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+cmd+Directory

[quote=“bxjy”]3 is “Local and Remote Call Agents” and “Direct Inward System
Access” the same thing?[/quote]

Direct Inward Dial Access is a DID:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directed_inward_dial

Versus local/remote agents is the ability to have the agents on your network or on a remote network (ie - office workers vs home workers).

Broad statement on this one, would need more context.

to MuppetMaster:
you said:

voip-info says:

from web:

Do you mean Direct Inward Dial Access=Direct Inward System Access?
I can not understand why DISA is a DID, can you explain more.

[quote=“bxjy”]to MuppetMaster:
you said:

voip-info says:

My original post was wrong on this point, I read to quickly and thought I saw ‘Direct Inward Dialing’ not Direct Internal System Access. Here are the details on the command to do this:

voip-info.org/wiki/index.php … k+cmd+DISA

[quote=“bxjy”]from web:

Do you mean Direct Inward Dial Access=Direct Inward System Access?
I can not understand why DISA is a DID, can you explain more.[/quote]

It is not the same, please see above.

so can I say : DISA as a command of asterisk realizes the function of “Local and Remote Call Agents”?

The two are unrelated. DISA may be used for calling card applications, for example. Where you want to provide a ‘dialtone’ to someone that calls into the system.

Whereas local/remote agents are users of the system in terms of SIP/IAX2/H323 endpoints, etc.

5.Remote Office Support
6.Spell / Say: Can “read” letters and numbers to a caller, for
example reading back the current time.
7.Voicemail Groups