Please fix the binary packages install process

In my view the binary package install process needs a serious update. I’ve been considering changing from my current system (FreeSwitch) to Asterisk, so I wanted to setup a server in my test environment. It hasn’t gone well.

I don’t think compiling from source is appropriate for a production environment so I didn’t try that method. For my test I tried to install Asterisk 13 on a Centos 6.6 VM. What I found was:

  • The instructions on the Wiki don’t work or are at best incomplete
  • Once it does install, it adds “AsteriskNow” which I didn’t want and which makes system changes like modifying /etc/issue
  • It adds many unneeded repositories to /etc/yum.repos.d/
  • It requires the Digium repository and adds those too

I don’t understand why it does this, it seems very complicated and unnecessary. I did finally get it to work for 13.2 but when I tried to update via yum to 13.3 it broke. Now I can’t re-install it at all.

I recommend that the package dependencies be greatly simplified. It should be possible to add one .repo file (for example, asterisk-13.repo) and fully install everything required and update from there. If you need optional features from Digium, then you should be able to add a similar, single Digium repo for them.

The install and update process is a critical system administrator task. Having a clean and simple install process makes the application easier to manage and work better with modern automated admin tools like Chef and Puppet.

Please consider refactoring your package install system.

This is as discussion forum for end users. It is unlikely to be read by the people who maintain the packages.

OK, thanks. I’ll try the mailing list then.

You want the developer mailing list, not the user one, but I don’t know whether the packages are part of the core Asterisk development, or a community supported development. In the latter case, they may or may not be supported via the Digium mailing lists.