Phone System Requirements Achievable?

Hello,
I work for a small company and we have just begun researching the possibility of deploying an Asterisk PBX for our office. We drafted a set of requirements we would like the phone system to meet, but are unsure if they are possible and/or practical to completely implement. Here are the requirements:

[ul]1. When we receive an incoming call, we want the ability for the caller to select who they want to call and ONLY that person’s phone will ring. We will likely need to configure an automated voice prompt that lists employees to the caller. (ie someone calls and is greeted by voice recording that says press 1 for Bryan and press 2 for Joel. If the caller presses 1, Bryan’s phone is the only one in the office that will ring.)
[list] 1a. In addition to requirement #1, even though a particular person’s phone rings, we still want to retain the ability for someone else to pick up the phone and take the incoming call.[/ul]
[ul] 1b. We also want to have a backup if the person who the incoming caller is trying to reach doesn’t pick up his/her phone. There are two options if this happens:
[list] 1. Go directly to that person’s voicemail
2. Go back to main menu[/ul][/list:u]
2. In addition to requirement 1a, we also want to have multiple people jump in on the same line to engage in the same single conversation. (ie if Bryan is talking to a client on line 1, Joel and Joey can each pick up a phone and join Bryan’s conversation on line 1.)
3. If someone picks up the phone, they will have the ability to transfer the call to someone else in the office. Transfer requirements are as follows:
[ul]1. When someone transfers the call to someone else, the person’s phone that is receiving the transferred call will ring and will receive the call on the same line as the original call (ie if Chase wants to transfer a call on line 1 to Bryan, Bryan’s phone will ring and when he picks up the phone, he will pick up the call on line 1.)
2. If the person receiving the transferred call doesn’t pick up the phone and the ring limit is met, a default action will be taken. This default action can either be:
[list]1. Go to the person’s voicemail
2. Go back to main menu[/ul][/list:u]
4. We want intercom functionality to function in exactly the same manner as the current phone system does now. That is, someone on intercom does not take up a calling line (ie Garrett want to talk to Isaac via intercom. He will be able to do this without taking up a line)
5. When someone picks up the phone, we don’t want the phone to automatically take up a line like the current phone system does. The phone only reserves a line when the person begins dialing a number or is receiving an incoming call.
6. We also desire the ability to push each person’s voicemail to their cell phone. (ie A client leaves a voicemail message for Bryan. The PBX system will push the voicemail to Bryan’s cell phone voicemail so he can listen and respond to it on the go.) (Note this is a bonus that is nice to have but can live without)[/list:u]
Other Information:
We are planning to use 6 phones with 4 SIP Trunks in this setup

Is this setup possible and/or realistic to implement using Asterisk? I look forward to hearing the community’s opinion on this.

Hi

All are achievable , this is a simple and straight forward setup

even[quote] 6. We also desire the ability to push each person’s voicemail to their cell phone. (ie A client leaves a voicemail message for Bryan. The PBX system will push the voicemail to Bryan’s cell phone voicemail so he can listen and respond to it on the go.) (Note this is a bonus that is nice to have but can live without) [/quote]
is possible, by default voicemails can be emailed to the user. to forward then on would require some scripting, buts possible , also sms notification of email is also possible…

Ian

Ian,

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it. It’s good to hear that our plan is simple and straight forward, especially since we are new to asterisk. I did think of one other question. For perspective phones, we are considering either the Grandstream GXP 2100 or the Cisco 504g as our phone of choice. Does anybody have any insight on which phone is easier to configure with asterisk and our potential setup?

Hi

Forget the Grandstream and to be honest the 504 as well. The one thing you need to spend money on is the handset as this is what people are going to be using day in and day out and what also is mostly responsible for the call quality.

Personally we only supply Aastra as deskphones as they are robust and reliable. But Polycoms and Snoms are good.

Ian

Hi,

I agree with the last comment.
Consider Polycoms (10/100 + 10/100/1000 available) or if you are on a tighter budget, use the Yealink handsets.
We use either handsets all the time in small, medium and large installations.
If we can help, give me a shout (infinityit.ie)
All the best
Anthony

This setup looks good. I think you should go ahead with it.