Optimal configuration for realtime endpoints

Hi all,

Doing a bit of testing with PSJIP realtime and am able to achieve lots of users through many endpoints+auths+aors. So we can do something like this (code is just example not syntax checked):

exten => 100,1,Dial(PJSIP/bob)
exten => 100,2,Hangup()

exten => 101,1,Dial(PJSIP/alice)
exten => 101,2,Hangup()

Then each user (bob and alice) can connect using an auth. My question is when we have LOTS of users how can we achieve this with a single endpoint and lots of auths, is it possible in this way at all? So for example:

exten => 100,1,Dial(PJSIP/bob@myEndpoint)
exten => 100,2,Hangup()

exten => 101,1,Dial(PJSIP/alice@myEndpoint)
exten => 101,2,Hangup()

So there would be a single endpoint and lots users (separate auths / aors?). In the above ‘myEndpoint’ is used to specify something like a soft client, in which the details of that connection (codecs etc) are the same for each user, but connections need to remain sperate.

I can see an endpoint is only allowed one auth and many aors (comma seperated, still not ideal for lots). Is this achievable at all, or just the wrong way of doing it?

Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance!

Technically it’s possible, but you should never do it. An endpoint is to represent an individual device, or user. Using a single one for everything defeats that purpose and has implications elsewhere. Device state, being one.

The only time you’d use a single one is if you have a network setup perhaps with a proxy, but it ultimately depends.

Thanks for getting back, what you said makes sense as that is how the tables are laid out and a proxy is a nice idea.

I was curious about performance with thousands of endpoints+aors+auths, have you had any cases like this in realtime and was it effective?

Regards

It works fine. However using realtime means you’re now beholden to the database. If the database has any issues, then your Asterisk has issues.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.