On Hold Music Legality

I know that few lawyers frequent this board, but I was wondering if anybody knew if it was legal to play popular music (like music on the radio) while on hold either. What about music in MP3 form or streaming from terrestrial or internet radio?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You cannot do it for free. You would in effect, be broadcasting the material… you would need to pay royalties, at least.

However, there are plenty of royalty free pieces of music around. The ones i’ve hard are not that good to be honest… but they’re legal.

But if I stream from a terrestrial or internet radio stream wouldn’t those royalties have already been paid?

Hopefully :smiley:

But, paid for the purposes of their broadcast. If you were to re-broadcast, you in effect become a broadcaster, and will be required to pay royalties.

I’ve just searched these two sites for you.

connectionsmagazine.com/articles/2/212.html

I just read in that article something I wasn’t aware of… music during church services are exempt. Damn man, churches get away with everything!

Just in case it’s helpful, here is a link to a site where you can get royalty free music.

q-music.co.uk/music_on_hold.php

It’s probably no help to anyone, but, I used to produce music some years back, so my music on hold will pretty much always be something i’ve put together… I doubt that i’ll try to sue my own ass. :smile:

Thanks so much for your help. I will be sure to shot you a PM or email if I need music.

Thanks,

Mark