Number crunching, Estimated server(s) cost

Hello

I am trying to crunch some numbers and am now trying to figure out how much hardware I am going to need to get a 40 user system working. I’m guessing I am going to need 2 servers to divide the load, and maybe a network attached storage device to store voicemail. Can anyone ballpark how much I am going to be spending on server(s) to handle this many users? I am estimating about $15,000.

Thank you.

One server should accomodate 40 users, depending on your environment. All 40 users are probably not going to be on the phone at the same time all day, but this could be the case for you. Are you going to have many meetme rooms?

I would suggest the following:
Processor: P4 3Ghz
Ram: 1 gig
Hard drive: 2 80 gig sata drives mirrored
Telephony card: Digium TE110P (assuming you are using PRIs)

Make sure to use good components in your box, don’t go cheap.

Wow, thats a lot less equipment than I thought!! I probably will want to offer conferensing. I should just go with more processor to accomodate that, correct?

$15,000? :open_mouth: I think you might have accidently added an extra zero (almost). Check out the wiki for more info on planning: voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … mensioning

Large volume meetme rooms can tax the system. Through in multiple codes amongst users and things can get heavy.

You can get by with 1 box. If you have $15k in your budget then you may want to use it. Build 2 boxes and have half of your users register to 1 box and half to another, or use 3 boxes with a proxy in front and a main and failover box in the back.

I was basing that on the info I read in the Asterisk book. They say that with 40 users your going to need multiple servers. I figured 5-6 grand per server plus the PRI cards, etc would get me around 15 grand. I’m glad to hear that it has been your experiance that a less expensive hardware collection is sufficient.

[quote=“zmanea”]One server should accomodate 40 users, depending on your environment. All 40 users are probably not going to be on the phone at the same time all day, but this could be the case for you. Are you going to have many meetme rooms?

I would suggest the following:
Processor: P4 3Ghz
Ram: 1 gig
Hard drive: 2 80 gig sata drives mirrored
Telephony card: Digium TE110P (assuming you are using PRIs)

Make sure to use good components in your box, don’t go cheap.[/quote]

I doubt that processor will cut it. I’d suggest the P4 830 (or better) or one of the Athlon 64 X2 chips. Multiple cores will only add about $100 to the system cost and you’ll really see the improvement with multiple calls.

As to the memory, I’d probably go with 2 GB to be safe. RAM is cheap so that won’t cost you but an extra $50-100. My estimates for building a box similar to that one (not including the Zaptel card) were less than $1000.

One thing to mention though, when building your own box, make sure you go with an Intel (for a P4 system) or nVidia (for an Athlon 64 system) chipset. Sis and Via are crap.

Gee whiz. That’s not many users. The Asterisk Business Edition touts it can handle 120 SIMULTANEOUS users, or 240 with some unknown addon. Asterisk normally ascts as a B2BUA too, so I assume that means Asterisk is in the middle of these 120-240 simultaneous calls.

The BE is basically the same code. Why do they state they can handle so many simultaneous users? Remember, all your users aren’t going to be making calls at the same time. There must be models that exist that show the average number of calls you can expect as a percentage of your total user base.