Not A Core Dump

Wondered if anyone could help me with this or help me find a good place to ask. I’m running 1.4.23 on CentOS. Asterisk is crashing once or twice a day on sig 8. I don’t see anything consistent in any of the logs any time it has crashed.

I’ve been trying to follow the backtrace instructions to see if I can understand what is going on. But, I can’t do anything with my core dump files. I think I’m getting a core dump in /tmp. But, here’s what I get from gdb.

# gdb asterisk /tmp/core.{myhostname}-2010-11-03T21:57:46-0400 GNU gdb (GDB) Red Hat Enterprise Linux (7.0.1-23.el5_5.2) Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details. This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu". For bug reporting instructions, please see: <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>... Reading symbols from /usr/sbin/asterisk...done. "/tmp/core.{myhostname}-2010-11-03T21:57:46-0400" is not a core dump: File format not recognized (gdb) quit

I’ve been searching for an answer for days now. Can anyone tell me what’s going on?

Thanks!

This is actually the same problem I was having over a year ago, but this time it is on a different box. Never figured it out the first time around.

Here is my original thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70237

I am using the third party rx_fax app and valet parking.

Your gdb problem is an OS problem, not an Asterisk one. Actually taking the core dump is done by the OS.

Thanks, David. I suspected that. Sorry for posting an OS question on an Asterisk forum. Was just hoping someone could suggest a place to find an answer. I’ve been reading and googling (is that a word) for days now, and I’m not finding an answer. I will keep looking.

My guess would be that either the dump was truncated, or there is a mismatch between your gdb and your kernel.