No need for external calls. Is Asterisk right for our needs?

Howdy, all;

Familiar with Asterisk at previous employer; need telephony solution at new job.

Basically, we have a small 6-person operation, spread out between buildings over 25 acres. Right now, we’re using CMRS (radios), but would like to have ability to leave messages and no interference from equipment.

A separate, wired intercom system has been suggested, but I pointed out that since we’re already wired for data between buildings, I’d look into a different solution.

Handsets and direct-dial have been requested, so I’m thinking we’d want phones, not terminal-based video or voice messaging. We DON’T need to call out to the ‘outside world’.

Is this a capability that Asterisk can handle?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
-Fionn

Should be trivial.

That’s all I needed to know.

All online summaries and demos for Asterisk show outside lines as an integral feature, and I was starting to think it was a core function – without which the system could not work.

And a quick answer here would have saved me hours of fruitless research if it couldn’t work.

Thanks!

(Now, to dive into the documentation…)

If you are feeling adventurous, you might even bridge your LMR system with Asterisk.

Thats exactly how I use Asterisk right now. Just connect my own phones/soft phones via central Asterisk server. But for me, there will be extra step involved - configuring external trunk :smile:

In your case seems like it’s even easier…

[quote=“katit”]Thats exactly how I use Asterisk right now. Just connect my own phones/soft phones via central Asterisk server. But for me, there will be extra step involved - configuring external trunk :smile:

In your case seems like it’s even easier…[/quote]

From what I see - if it’s just live communication (no voicemail/AA) on internal network (no NAT) - even I can do it :smile: