Newer services to an existing exchange using Asterisk

I am a complete newbie to asterix. Our company currently provides telephone connections to about 500 users using a Coral IPX system from Tadiran systems. The existing system has been maxed out for number of connections. We would like to add to the existing system to add more capacity in terms of the number of connections and also to provide other services like voicemail, caller id etc to the users.

My question to all asterisk gurus is - Is it possible to expand the capacity of an existing system using an Asterisk based solution?

What sort of hardware would we need in the Asterisk system and our existing exchange?

This is more of a question of what your existing system is capable of. Is your existing system capable of supporting standards such as SIP and H.323, or G729/G711/etc codecs? Will it allow SIP/H.323 trunking? If yes, then Asterisk may absolutely be used to extend your existing system.

Of course, you could even use TDM to extend, but if you are already maxed this may be more difficult.

You need to pick up a copy of this book:

voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … +Telephony

and for hardware look here:

voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+hardware

What hardware would I need on the PC running asterisk if I wanted to increase capacity using TDM?
What hardware would I need on the PC running asterisk if I wanted to increase capacity using SIP/H.323?

[quote=“goradiad”]What hardware would I need on the PC running asterisk if I wanted to increase capacity using TDM?
What hardware would I need on the PC running asterisk if I wanted to increase capacity using SIP/H.323?[/quote]

Whatever hardware you would like based on the links above and your requirements.