Newbie question about Asterisk abilities [Please help]

Dear Sir / Madam,

My name is Teguh Santoso from Bali. Currently i have a old fashioned PBX system (Panasonic) with a 4 POTS line (Regular telephone line). Is it possible for Asterisk to do assign a quota for each user so when they use the telephone, it will decrease their quota? and when they don’t have any quota left then they can’t use the phone? I haven’t try to install Asterisk before, so if it is possible. I would really appreciate if you could point me on :

1. Whether Asterisk has all the features like my old fashioned PBX?
  2. What kind of hardware and installation do i need to make?
  3. The configuration to achieve my purpose as described above

i would like to say Thanks in advance for all your kind attention. I’m waiting for someone with expertise in Asterisk to solve my confusion.

Best Regards,

Teguh Santoso

I see Asterisk like a pad of paper and a pen. It’s all as far as your imagination can take you. Asterisk can do almost what any other PBX can do.

Here is a list of some of the features:
asterisk.org/features

The hardware that you will need depends on what kind of lines and phones you will use. If you want to use POTS, E1, ISDN etc. lines then you will need a card. If you want to go with all VOIP all you will need is a server with Linux on it. I am unsure the support for Bali in the Zaptel drivers (software that runs the telephony card should you go with hard lines). From what I have seen with a little tweaking it should work fine.

You can write custom scripts in asterisk to keep track of what calls different phones make and you can then set if they can make calls or not. Like I said it’s all a matter of how far your imagination can go.