New to Aterisk, question about Aterisk

Hi, I’m from the Netherlands and I’ve been studying on an old telephone exchange, if thats the right word sine my 14th or something, I’m 19 now -.- anyways, that telephone exchange was from my dad’s work. And he works at a telephone company.
(Not at that department or something otherwise I wouldn’t be asking this, he just got it from his colleagues)

Anyhow, the Telephone exchange is from 1994, we’ve 2 spare backups of them if needed, but those are not the bests, cus they have less options but are the same telephone exchanges, it’s an telephone exchange from Alcatel probally, It’s called the Vox Nuance 16, and has 4 lines, and max 11 numbers…

So here goes, since the last year, the VOIP line i was using on my room isn’t working anymore, and now I use my computer with some crappy VOIP client, to still be able to use it. (Oh yea 1994 wtf Voip? No, I connected an VOIP modem to one of the netlines on the telephone exchange as it was a normal phone, works. :wink:

Anyway… since 2003-2004 or something we’ve been using this telephone exchange. (Another one of the Vox Nuance 16 before this one, but that one died already in 2007 or something.)

Anyhow, you can’t live forever on your telephone exchange though we do, we’ve no bussiness we’ve a normal home, but we like to call each other for dinner, going away, and well whatever reason, it’s nice to have a phone in every room.

Here are the troubles we’ve gone through already:
- Since you have a different number in every room, we had to make cables/wires to / for every room in the house, making the cables go all through the house, which was okay, as long as it works, and it still does,
but since I am known of the new telephone exchanges (VOIP) and stuff, you can just connect phones to your network, and then they will be seen by the VOIP exchange, and that’s just brilliant! Because all the wires aren’t there anymore.

My question is: Will I be able to learn how to make an Aterisk exchange, and is the above situation possible, that the Aterisk
exchange will see the phones connected to the network. (And yea ofcourse other phones then the old phones)

The second question is: Will it be able to work with an normal PTSN line, I mean as if there is an connecter like a modem card for a PC or something that can turn it into an PTSN line? For the Dial-out features, like our old exchange has those.

(Maybe I’m saying stupid things but I’ve no clue into aterisk, and I can lookup things and I am but those are things I can’t easily find around the net).

As following, if the Aterisk exchange is setup, can you use normal phones on it? Or just IP telephones? I mean, ofcourse you probally need IP telephones with a network jack, RJ45 but can you still use normal phones with some converter or anyhow? I mean RJ11 phones, (connectors) that don’t use power, and just the cord :smile:

Okay I’m feeling like such a noob but I am really interested in those things since I was a kid, my dad just never wanted to get a new telephone exchange and I feel like we are someday gonna need a new one, and maybe an better one, especiially since it’s 2011, and that exchange is from 1994… and even though I’ve great memorries of it, I’ve also not so great memories about it.

Anyway this is the exchange we are using:

[quote]My question is: Will I be able to learn how to make an Aterisk exchange, and is the above situation possible, that the Aterisk
exchange will see the phones connected to the network. (And yea ofcourse other phones then the old phones)[/quote]

Asterisk support SIP Protocol if your phones support it, yes asterisk can see it.

Yes Asterisk can connect to the PSTN with your line you need a TDM CARD, the only pcmodmem that I know it works is the MODEM with chipset Tigger the asterisk see it as wcfxo single FXO port. Asterisk aso support PSTN connection via sip trunk providers.

Asterisk can use both IP and analogue phones, For analogue phones you need a TDM CARD with FXS ports or an ATA device such PAP2T from Linksys.

Even you can use ATAs device with some Wireless Bridges an make a Wlan to your phones and asterisk and avoid all cable/wiring setup. Or use IPPHones with wireless or if you have smartphones use it with some SIP sofhtphone etc.

The wires are there, it’s just that alot of them won’t be nessecary anymore since the phone will go through the network which can be split up with switches and stuff :smile:

Thanks I’ve been reading alot already,
The costs are the factor that are kinda avoiding me to get right started.

I mean, I need one TDM card, with just one FXO port, I don’t really need more then 1 port, but i’ve only seen cards with 4 so far. :smile: And theyre pretty expensive for home use at the website, 500 dollars… anyways on ebay alot cheaper.

Then I need 7-8 IP telephones, beacuse I don’t want to hang around with those old analogue phones because those are just old :smile:

The question is: Wat will the costs be around you think?
I mean It’s for in house :smile:

EDIT: Also, I want to make sure I’ve the right system for this purpose, I mean how powerfull needs my Asterisk exchange have to be? I Mean an pentium 3? 2 ? pentium 4? (thats abit power consuming)

How many RAM well I will just do my research I’m just so excited! It’s like a new Zelda has just came out!

You can use a 56K pci modem (ambient) with Tigger chipset, asterisk recognize it as X100P wcxfo module.

You can find cheaper (Chinese) sip phones.

A PC with P4 and 512 RAM (i think) its enough for your purpose.

Ouch… a pentium 4 uses alot of power, and 512 mb ram :astonished:
wow that’s alot.

I was thinking myself about getting an Pentium III 900 Mhz, with 384 MB of RAM, (i can get more ram if needed)
(Uses 30W in use) :smile: With an SD(HC) card as HDD, (IDE) :smile:

The list of things I want it to do is here already, since I’ve been having wonderful idea’s for years. =D
Hah =D

• 8 IP phones, thinking about 6 SPA 921 Linksys phones, and one Philips DECT IP telephone, handset. :smile:

Anyway, the list of things I want it to do is huge… hehe because I really like to do special things with an exchange somehow :wink:

• 8 IP Telephones
  • 1 POTS / PTSN FXO card with 1 working phone number :smile:
  • 1 SIP dial out number / dial in number.
  • Webinterface backend, through browser
  • Calling intern with phones to each other. / In a dialplan, with the old numbers for each phone.
    In example: 11/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19 :smile:
  • Call Barring, for some numbers.
  • Call Barring, to 06(mobile) numbers after 1 HOUR of talking in the month (calling to cellphones is free the first hour a month with a special dial-plan here) (Though i’ve no idea if this is even possible)
  • Call history
  • Queue for incoming calls
  • Menu when calling the number to ring certain phones
  • Call routing, that all land-line numbers will be called with the POTS/FXO card, :smile: From all numbers, except my own phones, which will use an SIP number. (my own number)
  • Put through when in a call to another intern phone, so when someone answers the phone he/she can easily give the call to another phone, like we use to with the Nuance exchange.
  • Put through extern to another number, if needed not really :smile: Just a nice feature… =/
  • Intercom, to let all phones speak on speaker to have an loud talk, (this was a funny feature we used in house to impress people) lol. :stuck_out_tongue: not really needed.
  • Dutch voices, when a number isn’t reachable, or when someone’s in hold, or in the Queue, so that you can speak those yourself in. (ofcourse this is possible just telling)

Anyway, I’m wondering, can anyone give me a YES NO talk, if it is possible!
And If an Pentium III 900 MHZ, 384 MB RAM will be enough, how much GB does asterisk need anyway? :wink:
:smiley: if its not to much work though haha :stuck_out_tongue:

Again I don’t wanna know HOW, because there is the internet for, :smile: And I love to find things out myself that way hehe…
But just if it’s possible. :stuck_out_tongue: lol!

Thanks alot.

All the things you want are possible on Asterisk. For Asterisk integration with a WebGUI, please take a look at AsteriskNOW, Trixbox, Elastix or PBX in a Flash projects. This forum is only or the users that deal only with Asterisk (without any WebGUI’s and such).

About the hardware requirements, I think that Pentium III is more then enough for your needs. I used to run a 5-extension Asterisk server with IVR on Celeron 366, 192 MB ram and 4 GB HDD and it had a very low load. I changed it only because the HDD died, so I think that your PCs hardware is good enough. Just keep in mind that old hardware dies a lot before new hardware :wink:

[quote=“dejanst”]

About the hardware requirements, I think that Pentium III is more then enough for your needs. I used to run a 5-extension Asterisk server with IVR on Celeron 366, 192 MB ram and 4 GB HDD and it had a very low load. I changed it only because the HDD died, so I think that your PCs hardware is good enough. Just keep in mind that old hardware dies a lot before new hardware :wink:[/quote]

That’s the truth! I have a ubuntu server that has 512 MB of DDR RAM and I was looking at getting 1 gig of ram and it would be more expensive than DDR2.

have fun with asterisk! Right now mine is doing some crazy things that may result in me reloading the entire system but I’m having fun learning what could be causing my issues.