MWI not working after phone restart

Asterisk 1.8.4, fronted by FreePBX 2.8.1.4. Polycom phones, different models (IP430, IP650)

Problem: Asterisk doesn’t seem to send out the simple-message-summary after a phone restart? I have *1.4 at another site, never experienced this issue (at least, I’ve never been told it’s an issue)

Setup: leave voicemails for two different phones.

1. Restart asterisk; MWI LEDs light up on each phone; great
  2. Restart phones (i.e., power outage)
  3. After restart: no MWI LED, no stutter dial-tone

tcpdump trace shows asterisk never sends simple-message-summary to each phone.

My voicemail.conf file does have pollmailboxes=yes, pollfreq=10 (added in desperation, never had to do that before either)

All mailboxes are in [default] context
sip.conf has mailbox=nnnn@default for the applicable phones

I notice symbolic links from the device context in the spool area to the default context… is that an issue?

lrwxrwxrwx 1 asterisk asterisk 43 Jul 2 13:59 7000 -> /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/7000/

I’ve read all the MWI stuff I can find re polycom & asterisk, but haven’t found anything, and this seems so fundamental, I would think it would have been seen before. What am I missing?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Unlike previous Polycom versions, apparently the SUBSCRIBE to message-summary won’t work without msg.mwi.x.subscribe filled in. Running UC 3.3.1 code in the polycom. Finally got the XML right, and the LED comes on as expected after a reboot. Without that done correctly, SUBSCRIBE to event message-summary will NOT get sent by the phone. Per the manual. Just never had to do that before, and my first pass at the XML apparently wasn’t quite right. Perhaps this is an Asterisk 1.8 change from 1.4 that I did not notice in the release notes. No matter, it works now.

and in the relevant asterisk areas:

allowsubscribe=yes
subscribemwi=no