Mobile Twinning

Dear All,

My friend’s AVAYA IP Office PBX systems has feature called “Mobile Twinning”, this feature allows an external phone to be twinned with internal extension. the twinned device can be any external phone such as mobile or home phone.
so when caller rings the extension, both extension and the twinned device will ring. if the call is not answered from either device then the call will follow the rules set up for the extension. (such as being redirected to voicemail)…

I am running Asterisk 1.8.4

is it possible to have such feature?

I need advise

Thanks & Regards
Winanjaya

Thats absoluetly no problem, it’s just a groupcall (which means, that Your extension in the dialplan just rings more than one device).
If You need further asssistance just PM/IM me.

Hi

We do this for our customers, the solution is slightly more complicated than just a group call.

We use queues as this lets users add their device to the twinning and also use a macro on answer for the mobiles to force them to accept the call by pressing a key, otherwise the call will go to their mobiles voicemail if was off or didn’t answer and that is not what is wanted.
Also the call to the mobile is made with the transfer flags set, so that the mobile user can then transfer the call as if they were a real extension to another user and free up their mobile line.

Ian
cyber-cottage.co.uk
twitter @cyberco

I think groupcall is Asterisk GUI terminology. In the basic Asterisk you can do it just by listing the technology/address strings for both destinations, separated by an &, in the first parameter of the Dial application.

Obviously you can also do it with a ringall queue.

@david55: I think we have the same intention, so don’t let’s discuss about wording :smiley:

@ianplain: Interesting approach (but it doesn’t make it really much more complicated in my eyes 8) ), but this approach may also cause problems or may just be not useful because:
Using a queue implies that the callers leg is answered already i.e. during the waiting time until he’s really connected to some device there is already a connection he needs to pay for, this may in some scenarios not be what You want to (e.g. within Europe as they just trying to bring up a new regulation which forbids queues basically)

I’m a bit curious about the Macro You’re using to detect wheter there’s a human or an answering machine on the other end (actually - but it’s early in the morning).
I’m wondering how You will push back the caller into the queue once You’ve detected a non-human end. And - in addition - What would You do with the device/agent which was detected as an answering machine (as this detection may only be temporary valid in case of busy/congestion which may lead to a mailbox for cellphones).

Another question: You may for sure try to enabe asterisk-featurecodes like Transfer when dialing out to the cellphone no matter if using queues or just a Dial. But: AFAIK some cell-providers support inband USSD-codes in their networks. In this case such asterisk features may not work when the pressed keys are intercepted by the cell network itself. Did You ever had this problem?

[quote]but it doesn’t make it really much more complicated in my eyes[/quote] Correct its simpler and problem free . using a groupcall if the mobile is off or out of area the call will go to its voicemail or message. The macro we use means the call has to be accepted by physically pressing a key or in the case of systems we have with speech recognition saying yes. if they dont accept the call to that device returns busy. The call is still alll the time ringing in the queue It has not been passed to the mobile .

We have this in use on many customer sites and a call-center using home based agents using their domestic pots line.

Interestingly we have found that in many cases if the dialplan does not answer the call and the queue has the r option then the customer is not billed till teh call is actually answered.

Ian

[quote=“ianplain”]
Interestingly we have found that in many cases if the dialplan does not answer the call and the queue has the r option then the customer is not billed till teh call is actually answered.[/quote]

That’s exactly what I would expect. More problematic is that it will try to use early media for any comfort messages.

There seems to be a common, mistaken, idea that all dialplans should start with Answer(), but one of the things that Answer does is to start charging in the public network.

In fact, if r did answer, it would lead people to believe they weren’t being charged, when they actually were being charged.

Thanks for the reply. The r-Option for queues may really be the solution for the problem I saw, thanks for this :smiley: .

And my other question I already solved myself as I simply missed the fact, that only after executing the Macro (or alternatively a Subroutine with U) and delivering an empty MACRO_RESULT or GOSUB_RESULT respectively the calls will be bridged while the caller otherwise (depending on the value of the MACRO_RESULT) will simply stay in the queue and get routed further in respect of queue configuration. - It’s sometimes simply looking for core show application … :unamused:

I wonder how you deploy your Avaya IP Office device with Asterisk, did you use both Avaya Communication Call Server and Asterisk PBX or the Avaya device is registered only with Asterisl?