Low Power CPU?

What is a good low-power cpu to run asterisk on? The system I’m setting up will only handle maybe 5 calls maximum, maybe a few more in the future using the G.711 codec.

I also need to build a backup server running Linux HA in another location that will not do anything except activate Asterisk if the main server goes down (due to a power or internet outage). The backup server’s configuration file will tell all calls to be forwarded to a cell phone.

I found this page that lists several processors, and this page that has a setup that looks like it might work, but it seems the AMD Geode is an embedded processor, and I wasn’t sure if this would work for trixbox?

I’m fairly new to processors and motherboards, so I’m thinking I should stay away from embedded processors for now, and maybe just go with a ultra low power mobile processor in a desktop motherboard? Can I do this? Our setup is entirely VoIP and has no Digium FXO or FXS cards. Price is a factor too, I’d like to keep the box as cheap as possible.

Take a look at the Jetway 2.0GHz Mini-ITX boards, they seem to be good. I have one (the 1.5GHz versioin)that I used as a test box for a Trixbox build and it worked pretty well, however I never did any transcoding, but I don’t see this as a problem for you since you are not running a call centre. These boards carry a VIA C7 processor which use about 20W of power.

What about the Digium Asterisk Appliance?

http://www.digium.com/en/products/hardware/asteriskappliance.php

Not sure it has been officially released but it should be soon (I would imagine as soon as AsteriskNOW is released)

amcmillan: Thanks for the tip. I’m not sure if the Via C7 will be fast enough, but I’m going to go to Wal-mart and give this computer a try: walmart.com/catalog/product. … id=5673669

They don’t give any specs on how much power it uses, so I’ll have to use a kill-a-watt meter to figure that out. I know the Via C7 uses a ridiculously low amount of power. Too bad Wal-mart totes it as an “energy efficient design” and then bundles it with an energy hogging CRT.

swaterhouse: thanks for this link. I hadn’t seen this before. I’ll have to do more research on this device!