Linux platforms

Hi there,

Im new on Asterisk and I still searching for the correct linux platform. So Im posting to ask you whats your linux? and/or what you think is the best one for Asterisk?

Cheers

[quote=“cassador”]Hi there,

Im new on Asterisk and I still searching for the correct linux platform. So Im posting to ask you whats your linux? and/or what you think is the best one for Asterisk?

Cheers[/quote]

Linux is linux is linux. Different distributions are just that - distributions. Not different operating systems. They’ve all got their particular system configuration quirks and / or software packaging methods, but there’s really so little difference real difference between them that it’s pretty much irrelevant.

The main things you want to take into account when choosing a distribution are whether or not you feel comfortable with the approach to system configuration - e.g., slackware is very different to suse in that respect - and whether or not you want to be stuck with whatever software installation packaging system it uses.

The other thing that can be important in a production environment is the upgrade frequency and the likelihood of that particular distribution still being around in a few years time.

Personally, i go for fedora - mainly because i want the audio capabilities that the planetccrma distribution offers. But in an office environment i’d probably use something different.

For many years, i was an afficionado of slackware, and i’d still consider it for a server - depending on circumstances - but nowadays i think the only sensible way to go is with an RPM based system.

Fedora’s probably a reasonable bet for asterisk, although FC3 uses the 2.6.11 kernel - and it’s probably a little bit early in the development of the 2.6 kernel to expect real rock-solid stability from it. I can’t say i’ve had any trouble so far - but then i’m not using it in a heavy-duty production environment.

Thanx for the reply Willkemp.

Im not a linux expert, but I can work with it. I read in Voip-inf.org that WhiteBox linux is very stable with Asterisk, and some others have some issues regarding instalation. Thats what I wanna know. Offcorse if we know well some distribution, its quite more easy to solve problems…, but its not my case 8) .

thanx

WhiteBox has finally met end of life, however the author has and is now an active participant at CentOS.org which is a much more current & better supported version of the same thing - GPL ready generic distribution of Red Hat Enterprise 3 and 4.

Asterisk@Home incorporates CentOS 3.0 in their self-installing/configuring ISO for example.

How does the Mac OS X platform compare with regard to Asterisk?

I’ve got no personal experience of this and i’d be surprised if there are many people around who have used both - linux and mac seems to be an either/or thing - but my guess would be that there would be very little real difference. Both OSs are very similar in lots of ways - they’re both types of unix really.

The different hardware might introduce a bit of variation, of course, but i doubt there’d be any real functional difference.

Why don’t you try asterisk on OSX and then install linux on the mac and try asterisk on that and compare the two - then you can tell us what the difference is! :wink:

Asterisk runs just as well on Mac OS X for basic VoIP functionality. If you’re planning on using PCI cards for your FXO and FXS lines, though, you’re definitely better off going with a PC running Linux. While drivers are in development for Macs’ internal modems and Zap is being ported, they’re not “there” yet.

In a strictly VoIP environment, it would be fine today. I can’t recall if ztdummy’s been ported, so MeetMe may be unusable.

If you need PSTN interfacing, though, you’re presently stuck using a gateway of some sort, which may not get you the results you want (particularly if you need fax support).

On x86 and Linux, Asterisk is ready to roll in its entirety today.

On PowerPC and Mac OS X, your success is bound by how much of Asterisk’s functionality you need right now.