Kernel Optimization for Asterisk . . .

Hello All,

Question for Asterisk 13.20.0.rc2 to exist on GCP what does Asterisk/PJSip need the Kernel to have to support VoIP? There is installed TDM’s in this environment. How do I get PJSIP to treat the assigned IP addresses a secured local network?

Thanks in advance,

You configure your local network range for NAT purposes in pjsip.conf

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+12+Configuration_res_pjsip#Asterisk12Configuration_res_pjsip-transport_local_net

@johnkiniston thanks for the update and I received the following reply from serverfault:

Reply:

Asterisk is real-time soft. That means it should have GRANTED CPU every 50-100ms or so.

No,it will not work in Google cloud. Also will not work correctly in many virtualization environments without granted CPU access.

Sure you can try, but more then likely you will have gaps in the sound.

Your thoughts and would you write that Asterisk needs a dedicated CPU to work properly?

To work best it needs guaranteed CPU time.

1 Like

@jcolp giving more CPU in this environment would not grant the quoted 50-100ms that is needed?

Depends on the environment. I don’t know the characteristics of Google Cloud.

@jcolp there are restrictions on telecommunications connecting directly to a PSTN but cloudy about SIP Trunking. The issue remains the instability of the duration hearing the caller because of this. I am presently testing the same scenario in Microsoft Azure, AWS, Digital Ocean and Alibaba [which is going to be interesting because it is located in China] update to follow.

If you want negligible degradation, you should be aiming at scheduling latencies of under 2ms. 20ms is probably going to be tolerable. 100ms is way too high.

@david551 this is a good thought will consider and update.

@david551 received the following:

Only if it not grant enough CPU time every 50ms. This is an indication it can be done. NICE :metal: