IP Phones Suddenly Sending Double Digits

I’m running Asterisk-1.4.21.2 on a FreeBSD-7.0 server. I have a couple of GS IP phones sprinkled around my LAN. All has worked well for many months but suddenly I noticed I could no longer login to my voicemail boxes. I am constantly getting a “Login Incorrect” message. So I slowed down and made sure I was entering the right key strokes on the phone, which I was. I then watched the CLI screen for any clues as to what might be happening and sure enough there was evidence of the problem. When I was entering 2000 on the phone, CLI screen would show that I was entering 22000 or 20000. The password digits were also getting some kind of double stroke or echo happening. I checked and rechecked that I was only entering the correct key strokes and I was. Sometimes only one of the entries was incorrect but always one of them ended up with an extra digit in it.

This is strange because I have used this system for a long time now. The firmware on the phones is set to update automatically and I did notice a bit of a problem with one of them a few weeks ago but that settled down.

Update - I just noticed that it’s really going bonkers now. I entered 2000 and the CLI screen shows it received 2000000. Do I suddenly have some kind of echo issue here?

what is dtmf set to.??

make sure its just set to any 1 mode.

lets say if its set to 2 modes the digits get repeted.

dtmfmode=inband

When I first hooked up this Grandstream BT-200 phone it would not send any keys to the Asterisk server or at least the Asterisk server would not recognize them. Someone in this forum suggested that I set dtmfmode=inband and it worked fine from there forward. I have since added two GXP-2000 phones and those are really great. But there appears to be some kind of issue with this.

If I call from an outside line this double keystroke issue does not occur. It’s only when I’m calling from inside my LAN. And what’s wierd is that a few weeks ago I saw a post from someone complaining that the latest firmware update from Grandstream was causing problems for their BT-200 phone. So like an idiot I updated my firmware to see if it caused any trouble. Thinking I could just downgrade the firmware if there was a problem. The techs at Grandstream say you can do this but I can’t get it to work. It seems that it finds the old firmware date and won’t use the files. I didn’t get the issue this other person referenced but suddenly my normal hangup on the BT-200 did not work like it used to. Where I would previously get a simple and clean hangup when I pressed the # key, which my dialplan directed, now the BT-200 phone goes into a busy signal and I have to manually hangup the phone. The GXP-2000’s still hang up cleanly.

And now tonight a new development. I have noticed that if I simply peck at the keys very quickly, not lingering at all like I used to, the keystrokes are not duplicated and I can login to my voicemail box. I find this strange because I have never had to do this before. But it does seem than this resolves the problem. Can’t explain it though.

have you restarted asterisk, and the phones lately?

Give
dtmfmode=rfc2833
a try, as a workaround, if everything else fails.
I had similar effects on a connectione between my GSM-Gateway and my * via SIP, when using inband.

Give
dtmfmode=rfc2833
I had similar effects on a connectione between my GSM-Gateway and my * via SIP, when using inband.

Give
dtmfmode=rfc2833