Interesting Issue with Cisco 79XX Phones

I’m in the process of setting up an AsteriskNOW-based PBX for my company over a T1, and all of that’s working great. All of my call routing and everything is working wonderfully. I can make and receive calls. My DIDs all work. Voice menus are working great. Call groups are functioning as they should, and my Digium TE110P so far hasn’t given me any problems.

The phones I’m using are primarily Cisco 7912 phones. These phones have a “nice feature” on them. You see, they have this built-in “Forward On Busy” functionality. What’s more, though, is that if a Call Forward on Busy number isn’t specified, it forwards to the VoiceMail Extension.

What I’m wondering is if anyone here knows of a way to turn that feature off. I would like to handle all of my forwarding via the PBX. Right now, the only way I have found to do this is by setting the VoiceMail extension to 0 on the phones. This has the wonderful side effect of removing the “Messages” softkey, though. I’d love for a way to keep that softkey while also disabling the Call Forward on Busy at the phone level.

If anyone has any ideas, I’d love to hear them. This is one of the last major stumbling blocks before I roll my 60 DIDs over to this new system.

in our place we all mostly are using Polycoms, you probably could still google it or contact Cisco tech support, do not know how that works.