Inter Asterisk Calling

Hi,

I have two asteriks servers configured and working. One is at the office, whilst the other is at home.

The Office box has a static IP, whereby the Home machine has a dynamic IP.

The Home machine’s IAX.conf is as follows:-

[OFFICE]
type = friend
auth = md5
host = 196.34.25.88
trunk = yes
secret = secret
context = incoming_OFFICE

Whereby the Office machine’s IAX.conf is as follows:-
[general]
register => OFFICE:secret@196.34.25.88

[Home]
type = friend
auth = md5
host = dynamic
trunk = yes
secret = secret
context = incoming_HOME

No problem with registration between the Asterisk servers.

To enable dialing from the OFFICE to HOME is done simply by creating a context within extensions.conf such as:-

[HOME]
exten => _2X.,1,Dial(IAX2/HOME/${EXTEN:1})
exten => _2X.,n,Hangup()

Dialing from HOME to the OFFICE would be:-

[OFFICE]
exten => _1X.,1,Dial(IAX2/OFFICE/${EXTEN:1})
exten => _1X.,n,Hangup

This works fine, yet we prefer using “FQDN names”, such as Sarah@office.com

And this is where my issue starts…

DNS service records has been created.

When at home, I can phone John on either of the following ways:-

1.) John
2.) John@192.168.0.10
3.) John@home.com

However, should I wish to phone John from the office, I need to call

4.) 1John

(Pattern matching being applied to route the call to the HOME server)

I’ve created a [Home] context at the Office machine’s extensions.conf:-

exten => _.,1,Verbose(1|Transfer to Home)
exten => _.,n,Dial(IAX2/HOME/${EXTEN}@Home)
exten => _.,n,Hangup()

with basically the same config at the OFFICE machine.

Doing a “console dial Sarah@office.com” from the Home machine, creates the following at the Office machine’s CLI:-

[Nov 19 17:56:31] NOTICE[19774]: chan_iax2.c:7613 socket_process: Rejected connect attempt from 16.16.12.16, who was trying to reach 'Sarah@office.com
[Nov 19 17:56:32] NOTICE[19778]: chan_iax2.c:7613 socket_process: Rejected connect attempt from 16.16.12.16, who was trying to reach 'h@office.com

A call from a soft client, results in nothing at either side, till the softclient times out…

We wish to phone users as "user@domain.com" with a fallback to an extension number. (Say when a PSTN caller, wished to contact John)

Is this possible with Asterisk?

Can anyone please shed some light on how to accomplish this ? or point me in the right direction… ? if possible.

Thanks in advance

I believe I might clear a bit of my own “understanding” of my previous post … :blush:

The DNS service records is merely to “locate” an asterisk server within a domain. Thereby allowing one to take a machine off-line, for say maintenance, whilst another can take over. Thus allowing users to still register with an asterisk server.

Yet, to allow the dialing of other domain’s users via "user@domain.com", would this also be accomplished via pattern matching with contexts or is there a “better” way of doing this via asterisk ? (Does asterisk do any type of DNS resolution WITHIN it’s dialplan?)

Also, is it “bad practice” to reach the same extension in the dialplan via a numeric reference ( 1 800 555 8520) as well as a character reference (i.e. user@domain.com) (Or would this only be possible with two seperate extensions?)

Please correct me in my thinking and any advice would be appreciated !

Thanks