Immediate dialling from a SIP phone

How can I do an immediate dial from a SIP phone connected to asterisk?
Essentially I want to do the same as the immediate=yes which is available on ZAP phones. So the user picks up the phone which immediately dials a number.

Thanks

Paul

This parameter does not exist on SIP channels (immediate=yes).

I think you need to find a SIP phone which can be configured to dial as soon as the headset gets lifted… (not every phone supports it)

cheers
stoffell

I’m not sure how to do it from within Asterisk, but I know how to do it using my SIP phone’s configuration. We’re using Polycom phones. There’s two parameters in the phone1.cfg file. The following is straight out of the Polycom admin manual:

x is the registration number. IP 301, 320, 330, 430: x=1-2;
IP 501: x=1-3; IP 550: x=1-4; IP 600: x=1-6; IP 601: x=1-12;
IP 650: x=1-34; IP 4000: x=1.

call.autoOffHook.x.enabled

Permitted values are 0, 1 (disabled, enabled)

call.autoOffHook.x.contact

ASCII encoded string containing digits
(the user part of a SIP URL) or a string
that constitutes a valid SIP URL (6416
or 6416@polycom.com)

Anyway, if you don’t have Polycom phones, this isn’t going to help you. However, I image another manufacturer might have a similar feature. BTW, I just tried this on my phones. It works great. The second I lift the handset up, it dials the extension that I specified.

e.g. dial 5551212 and picking up the handset causes it to start dialing.

Thanks - it’s a pity there is nothing like that in SIP. I’m using a Cisco phone, and I can set an immediate dial, but not in the configuration file, so a power off involves putting the number back in. I was sure there must be another way of doing it, possibly in the extensions.conf file.

You can use Special Key like # and do immediate dial

appan kh

[quote=“PaulL”]How can I do an immediate dial from a SIP phone connected to asterisk?
Essentially I want to do the same as the immediate=yes which is available on ZAP phones. So the user picks up the phone which immediately dials a number.

Thanks

Paul[/quote]