HOWTO Upgrade Asterisk

Okay gang I’ve made some progress and have it almost working like I want it but the darn thing is still not quite there. But now there is a new version of Asterisk with some security fixes that I feel are important.

BUT…and there’s always a big but…I’m not sure how to go about the update. If I do the ports install again it will just build 1.2.7.1 again as the port has not been updated. So…

If I build from source will this suffice? I’m not very knowledgable about the Makefile but it appears that there are some lines in it that recognize a FreeBSD system and will install Asterisk in the same locations that the port does. Am I making the correct assumption here?

This makes one long for the days of DOS 6.22 when you simply made a single directory and copied all the files you needed for a program into it. Then along came Windows and .dll and .sys files all over the place. Oh well, that’s progress for you.

Okay, I tried on a test box to build from source and it crashed during the first stage of gmake with this message:

chan_zap.c: In function pri_dchannel': chan_zap.c:9038: error: structure has no member namedcall’
gmake[1]: *** [chan_zap.o] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/storage/builds/asterisk-1.2.9.1/channels’
gmake: *** [subdirs] Error 1

I don’t have any Zaptel hardware in this machine but then the build went fine from the port installation. So once again, I’m asking if anyone out there can tell me how to upgrade without waiting on the port to be updated.

make WITHOUT_ZAPTEL=YES

This gonna disable IAX2 trunking though.

Actually I had to build it WITHOUT_ZAPTEL, WITHOUT_H323 and WITHOUT_FAX to get a successful run. That’s a real drag but it will have to do for now.

I notice that * is now up to version 1.2.11 with some pretty important security fixes. The port still only uses 1.2.9.1. Any news on when the port will be updated to use the latest code?

If not, can I once again ask how I would go about upgrading * without waiting for the port?

Guys,
I have done a successful install using the latest port (asterisk-1.2.9.1_2).
To get it all compiling you’ll have to update all dependent ports, build them, and then compile asterisk.

The following link shows all the dependencies (listed after requires:)
Link to Asterisk Ports
Take note of the exact version number in that list and compare it against the pkg_info - anything different you will have to update.

I don’t know how to patch the lastest release from digium so it works on BSD. I’ll leave that job to the port maintainer.

Moz