How can I learn asterisk CPS and channel capacity

Hi Everyone,

I have asterisk running on server which below properties: How can I figure out how many concurren channels asterisk can accept?

Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 12
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-11
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 6
Socket(s): 1
NUMA node(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 62
Model name: Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz
Stepping: 4
CPU MHz: 2045.141
CPU max MHz: 2600.0000
CPU min MHz: 1200.0000
BogoMIPS: 4200.06
Virtualization: VT-x
L1d cache: 32K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 256K
L3 cache: 15360K
NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-11

Depends on what you are doing with those channels. Are you recording calls, Transcoding calls, Playing IVR, Conferencing calls, Dialing SIP Endpoints …? There’s no simple answer to your question!
Best way is to use a tool like sipp to generate calls for Asterisk and check the load on the server and Asterisk CLI for any possible warnings and errors.
Personally even when using sipp, I would have some human making real calls in Asterisk to check the audio quality.

P.S. Note that there’s a difference between CPS and Concurrent calls in Asterisk. However sipp can help you test both the cases.

Hi thank you for your answer.

We are working as transit carrier and using asterisk as mediaserver to reduce latency. So we just passing call to another endpoint.

Hmm so there is no way to figure it out without testing ?

No. Asterisk is just a toolkit and load depends on what you are building on top of Asterisk.

There is no magic formula, only actual testing.

Okay thank you for answer guys, I understood! Apprecaite!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.