I am looking for input/recommendations/lessons learned etc…
Here’s where I’m at:
Set up Asterisk for home use (still 10.0.9), running stable for quite some time. Did that on a shoestring: Used but good P4, X100P clone, SIP softphones (XLite’s on OS X and XP). Trunks are
- PSTN with my old phone number
- SIPGATE VoIP to stay in touch with friends and family in Germany (I live in US) who aren’t that technically advanced (;->).
I’ve been living with small problems: Cracking sounds and hangups on OS X softphone, long breaks in audio on XP softphone. I am under the impression that softphones are useless for daily use. I still use my old analog phone parallel to Asterisk, which is truly besides the point of having Asterisk, of course. So I need to move forward. What’s my next step? I am undecided about my options, which I see as follows:
- Aggressive route: Ditch PSTN landline and go VoIP with Broadvoice BYOD, get wireless SIP phone (i’m running a wireless LAN). I have considerable reservations though:
- VoIP not being ready for prime time, e.g. Broadvoice cannot get me a local number, just one issue.
- Countless accounts of underachieving wireless SIP phones, not ready for prime time either?
VoIP via Broadvoice BYOD would safe me considerable $$$ on my monthly bill though, and a “carrier” when I’m on the road.
- Conservative route: Keep analog line and local number but be stuck with dialtone. Get Digium TDM400P w/ FXS and FXO module. Connect analog phone to FXS and configure as extension. (Q: on a side, any recommendations for a cordless analog phone?)
Conservative route would be pricier and isn’t nearly as sexy, but I am aiming to build a solid platform so I don’t have to explain to callers why calls are getting dropped, why I cannot be reached, and whatnot. Also, with a solid platform I expect I won’t have to scratch my head when things don’t work with further steps down the road.
Sorry, long story… I suppose my Q: boils down to: I’m leaning towards the convservative route, even so, is there a reasonable shot at a solid platform from the aggressive route, at this time anyway?