I am new to Asterisk, and am working my way through the Asterisk book, but I had some questions that I was hoping to bounce of the Asterisk gurus on this forum.
I’m trying to set up Asterisk for a small office setup, which has Time Warner Digital phone service - which means we have a modem that gives us 2 POTS lines.
So my plan is
- Buy and install an FXO card (like a TDM402B) on the desktop, to connect the phone lines coming out of the Time Warner modem.
- Install AsteriskNOW on a fairly competent desktop
- Connect the computer to a router, that is connected to the company’s wired network
- Each office has a LAN port, and I can hook up a SIP phone (like the Digium D40) to each port.
- Make a customized Dialplan - (I have a lot to read about here, and there is lots of info the Asterisk book)
I was wondering if this sounds like a good plan? Can I save on hardware/software costs in any way? Can I hook up Time Warner’s modem directly to the desktop without having to get an FXO card?
Any suggestions from this forum is most welcome.