Help with FaxGateway between 2 ATAs

Hello all again,

Right now I am having problems regarding the FaxGateway function, available on issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=13405 .
I already tested 2 different topologies based only on SIP connections:

1. Fax1 -> ATA1 -> PSTN -> Asterisk -> PSTN -> Fax2
  2. Fax1 -> ATA1 -> PSTN -> Asterisk -> PSTN -> ATA2 -> Fax2

I can send faxes on the first topology with almost (I’ll get to the that) no problems but fail completely on the second topology. It comes to my understanding that the FaxGateway function works as translator for 2 different connections, it can translate from voice to T.38 or vice-versa if it detects that the communication is different between the 2 sides. If it does find that the communication is equal on both sides the FaxGateway doesn’t translate anything acting as a passthru between them.

So now to the problem: In the second topology and sometimes on the first one (only from Fax2 to Fax1) when I send when I try to place a call I get the next error(s) on the CLI:

[Jan 3 18:37:50] NOTICE[12548]: chan_sip.c:20210 handle_request_invite: Call from ‘yyyyyy’ to extension ‘xxx.xx.xx.xxx:5060’ rejected because extension not found in context ‘user_faxtest’.

Where yyyyyy is the number registered in Asterisk and configured on the ATA2 (yes, the reciever not the sender) and xxx.xx.xx.xxx is the IP for the server where Asterisk is. In fact xxx.xx.xx.xxx:5060 should be a value like zzzzzz.

My extensions_tests.conf is:

[user_faxtest]
exten => _XXXXXXXXX,1,FaxGateway(SIP/${EXTEN})
exten => _XXXXXXXXX,n,Wait(5)
exten => _XXXXXXXXX,n,HangUp

The sip_tests.conf is

[zzzzzz]
t38pt_udptl=yes
context=user_faxtest
host=dynamic
secret=guesswhat
type=friend
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
nat=yes
qualify=yes
;
[yyyyyy]
t38pt_udptl=yes
context=user_faxtest
host=dynamic
secret=guesswhat
type=friend
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
qualify=yes
nat=yes

System info:
Asterisk 1.6.2.13
OS Debian 5.0.6
ATA1 and ATA2 are Planet Technologies VIP-157s T.38 capable

If someone had a similar problem please help (i.e. the callee tries to call the Asterisk server directly).
Thanks,
Joel Oliveira

Hi,

I think you might have better luck on the issue report with your findings or on the -users list. Most people aren’t using the patch since it isn’t integrated with mainline Asterisk yet.

Ok. Thanks :smile: