[HELP] VERY loud tones on eyebeam / USB headset / asterisk

Hi, I’ve tried posting to support.xten.net regarding this issue but their support people feel this should be corrected either in asterisk or with our PSTN supplier.

Problem:
When volume is adjusted to a proper level for conversation on USB headset with softphone (Eyebeam audio-only build 3007n), SIP connection to asterisk Xorocom (1.0.9), the tones are extremely loud, to the point you need to pull the headset away from your ears. When I dial out a call using an analog $10 from wal-mart, I can hear properly and pressing tones are at the right volume.

Background:
We have one TDM400P card with one FXO and one FXS chip. We have PSTN service supplied by SBC. We had a tech come out to our site to test the line and he reported no errors with our phone connection, and said all levels were proper.

Question:
What are my options? Xten says the problem isn’t with Eyebeam, that I should either look to my phone company or asterisk. SBC says the levels are fine. So that leaves asterisk. The only relevant information I could find was on voip-info:

voip-info.org/tiki-index.php … adjustment

But I don’t have echo issues, so I don’t believe this post applies to me.

Any suggestions on where to look next? Could the problem still be with the SIP softphone / USB headset combination? Anything else I can test to isolate why the tones are so blinkin loud? I can post sip.conf and other configs if required. Thanks in advance,