[HELP]: Automatically adding SIP clients

Hi,

I am currently working on getting Asterisk working on a WRT54GL router using WhiteRussian 0.9. I therefore have Asterisk 1.0.10-1 installed.

I would like to know if it is possible to have Asterisk (more specifically the SIP server) automatically accept SIP clients from a certain IP range (eg 192.168.1.[100-200]) and update the sip.conf and extensions.conf. I am pretty sure that this is not built in but it would be very nice if someone has a solution to this problem.

The reason for this is to have the ability to plug in any phone with any ID (extension) and allow it to automatically access the network without having to physically alter the sip.conf or extensions.conf.

The only way that I can think of doing it is to listen on port 5060 for SIP requests, have a program alter the files to add the phone and then issue commands to Asterisk to reload sip and extensions. This seems a bit over the top and complicated.

if there is no way to do the above using a “magic” config script somewhere - is it possible to interface with the SIP debugging info directly that would allow me to get the information from Asterisk rather than listening to port 5060?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.