[help] Asterisk Deployment problem

Hi all, sorry if this belongs somewhere else. Please let me know where and I will move it appropriately.

I work at a business that would like the features and benefits of asterisk. It’s a small office, soon to be call center, for a dental office. Quotes from local phone suppliers have all be in the range of 25grand for the equipment and services we need. I have spec’d out the solution to around 5 grand, including phones. However, I have never done something on this scale before, nor have I worked with any of the phone equipment, so I’m looking for someone with experience to help.

Here’s what I want to do
Bring in 8 copper lines, pipe them into a channel bank to make it a T1, then pipe that into an asterisk box with a t1 card.

Issues I am trying to avoid
Echo. Any dropped calls or echo will kill this project, and likely get me in serious hot water.

Possibly relevent facts[ul][li]6 of these lines will be in a hunt group from the phone company. [/li][li]We will have a centrix setup at the local CO so we can route calls to our other office right next door.[/li][li]We will have 8 people on this system initially, 2 of which will be handling the call traffic for a 10 op dental office, which will then grow to handling the traffic for 2x10 op dental practices.[/li][/ul]

I’m not looking for a free ride, this is definitely a consultant setup. Once I have the t1 in and functional, I can do the asterisk setup. The software is easy enough to work with that I can take my test setup and modify it to fit.

Thank you for any help you can provide. And again, if this isn’t the place for this kind of thing, just me know.

[quote=“skennedy”]Here’s what I want to do
Bring in 8 copper lines, pipe them into a channel bank to make it a T1, then pipe that into an asterisk box with a t1 card.[/quote]

This would work fine with Asterisk. Would you consider using a VoIP provider such as teliax.com? This way you could do everything over a data connection, as opposed to brining in analog lines.

Why not have all users off of one Asterisk server using an appropriately architected LAN or even a broadband connection? The centrex cost is an additional cost that is really not necessary if you are deploying an Asterisk platform.

Not sure exactly what you are asking for?

[quote=“MuppetMaster”][quote=“skennedy”]Here’s what I want to do
Bring in 8 copper lines, pipe them into a channel bank to make it a T1, then pipe that into an asterisk box with a t1 card.[/quote]

This would work fine with Asterisk. Would you consider using a VoIP provider such as teliax.com? This way you could do everything over a data connection, as opposed to brining in analog lines.[/quote]Not reliable enough. That office is actually on teliax and voicepulse, and we get quality problems along with dropped calls. Not nearly so much as they’d like to believe ( they being the folks in that office already ), but it’s still a problem.[quote=“MuppetMaster”][quote=“skennedy”]Possibly relevent facts[ul][li]6 of these lines will be in a hunt group from the phone company. [/li][li]We will have a centrix setup at the local CO so we can route calls to our other office right next door.[/li][li]We will have 8 people on this system initially, 2 of which will be handling the call traffic for a 10 op dental office, which will then grow to handling the traffic for 2x10 op dental practices.[/li][/ul][/quote]

Why not have all users off of one Asterisk server using an appropriately architected LAN or even a broadband connection? The centrex cost is an additional cost that is really not necessary if you are deploying an Asterisk platform.[/quote]The problem lies in the existing infrastructure and upper managements relative fear of voip. We have a partner ACS system in the main production office. It works fine for what we want, and it’s on the same CO as the “call center”. The idea is to keep the voip on the local network ( and in fact, we do have a high speed link between the two locations, but for simplicity I’m not going to use that initially ).[quote=“MuppetMaster”][quote=“skennedy”]Thank you for any help you can provide. And again, if this isn’t the place for this kind of thing, just me know.[/quote]

Not sure exactly what you are asking for?[/quote]Neither was I, it would seem. What I am after are recommendations for a consultant that someone’s used. I don’t know anybody in the industry excepting the folks on the asterisk mailing list, so I don’t know who’s a good person to get information from. Once I have the lines into the asterisk system, I’m good. It’s getting those lines in that I hvae no expertise in. I know the theory, and I know how things should go together, and push come to shove I can probably get this working.

However, this is not a situation where “push comes to shove” can apply. I need someone with phone industry experience to help me with the connections.