Handle 1,000,000 calls?

Hi y’all, here’s my situation:

we have 1 million calls in the next 6 months, and they all need to hear the same 2 minute announcement. Afterwards, we don’t need 1 million messages, so it should be announce-only mode.

Any ideas?

Peter
(20 yrs PHP, could better write SIP module myself?)

How many simultaneous calls do you expect?
I don’t see any issues with Asterisk if you spread those calls evenly for the next 6 months.

Somewhere around 10,000.

A. Wouldn’t it be a problem with capacity at the sip provider??

B. Someone here willing to set up the system at our server? Please? (I really dont know enough of *)

You can use a SIP proxy like Kamailio or OpenSIPs with Asterisks to handle such load.

Someone here willing to set up the system at our server? Please? (I really dont know enough of *)

You should share your detailed requirements and someone should respond if you are interested in paid consultancy.

2 Likes

You may want to start with a discussion with your SIP provider.

I suspect 2,000,000 minutes is going to involve a prepayment of some kind.

While some SIP providers don’t (normally) charge for inbound, I suspect you will quickly discover that ‘unlimited’ does not mean ‘unlimited.’

BTW, are these inbound or outbound calls?

Just for ‘ballparking’ this, a single call may take around 80 Kbps (ULAW/ALAW). Per call. For 10,000 simultaneous calls, you’re approaching a gigabit per second.

I discovered that providers don’t like to answer the question how they define “unlimited”:slight_smile:

Delivering a voicemail is typically a response to inbound traffic…

I’ve got 2x10Gbit dedicated available…