General usage scenario question

Hi everybody,

sorry if this is trivial to you, but I’ve been searching for a while and couldn’t find a definite answer. Is it possible with the Asterisk software package to use a RasPi at home with dyndns such that

1. it serves as a registration server (i.e. one does not need any extra service such as linphone.org)
  2. it allows encrypted voice (and video) calls from one Asterisk-RasPi to another one located elsewhere on the internet
  3. one can connect some sort of a headset or even a standard phone to the RasPi that rings if a call is coming in, and that one can use to talk after the RasPi has decrypted the incoming audio stream and before it has encrypted the outgoing audio stream?

Any helpful advice on these questions might make me happy, so thanks for taking the time!

Yes, it’s possible. Asterisk can be configured configured to do 1 and 2 and for 3 you’d need to clarify what you mean further. You can connect a SIP device using SIP to it, for example. If you mean a physical phone to the RasPI that I do not know.

Hi jcolp,

thanks for the advice! If SIP device means any standard sip phone, then this would be fine, too. The remaining question for me would be: Is it possible for the audio or video communication between the two RasPis to be encrypted, while it will be unencrypted in the local network, i.e. locally from RasPi to SIP device? This would be helpful in case the SIP device is not capable of handling the chosen encryption method.

Thanks!

Each call is independent, one side can be encrypted and the other not. It’s all up to the underlying configuration.

Thanks, but there might have been a misunderstanding, let me try to be more specific. I meant to ask about one given call between two SIP devices which are not on the same local network. Assuming these two SIP devices each have some server running Asterisk within their respective local networks A and B, can these SIP devices communicate with each other such that e.g. the communication from SIP device A is sent unencrypted to its local Asterisk server A, encrypted there, then sent over to the Asterisk server B on the local net B, decrypted there, and forwarded unencrypted to SIP device B which is also on the local net B?

Thanks!

Yes. As I said, the calls are independent. When Asterisk is involved a call is between Asterisk and the device. The attributes and properties don’t have to match on both sides if two calls happen to be bridged together.