General systems design?

Has anyone created a general system design or system layout? I’m looking to see how all this links together.

thanks

(any type of telephony channel) -> asterisk -> (any other type of telephony channel)

Seriously, as far as system designs, it really depends on what you’re doing and what you want to do. You could write a two line dialplan and have asterisk be nothing more than a glorified answering machine or ATA, all the way up to serving thousands of users. There is no one diagram for everything.

Like IronHelix said it all depends on what you want the system to do. Your question is simmular to one asking for a full design of every function that a PC can do. It is impossible, becuase the design is based on the program. In Asterisk it does what you tell it. You have document what you program it to do.

[quote=“IronHelix”](any type of telephony channel) -> asterisk -> (any other type of telephony channel)

Seriously, as far as system designs, it really depends on what you’re doing and what you want to do. You could write a two line dialplan and have asterisk be nothing more than a glorified answering machine or ATA, all the way up to serving thousands of users. There is no one diagram for everything.[/quote]

thanks, I understand it is very flexable. My question is can I use it before or after a switch? would I need to get a power over ethernet switch? Can I set it up like a laege centrix system?

[quote=“mac1999”][quote=“IronHelix”](any type of telephony channel) -> asterisk -> (any other type of telephony channel)

Seriously, as far as system designs, it really depends on what you’re doing and what you want to do. You could write a two line dialplan and have asterisk be nothing more than a glorified answering machine or ATA, all the way up to serving thousands of users. There is no one diagram for everything.[/quote]

thanks, I understand it is very flexable. My question is can I use it before or after a switch? would I need to get a power over ethernet switch? Can I set it up like a laege centrix system?[/quote]

assuming by switch you mean phone switch ie pbx, either way depending on what you want to do. You could put it before to record calls or add features, after if you want to keep your existing pbx intact but just use a plug in voice mail system or something.

no you dont need a PoE switch, unless you want your phones to have PoE. Most phones either come with their own power brick or support a power brick of some kind. The ones that dont have an available PoE brick.

Yes you can turn asterisk into a centrix if you want :smile:

[quote=“IronHelix”][quote=“mac1999”][quote=“IronHelix”](any type of telephony channel) -> asterisk -> (any other type of telephony channel)

thanks, I understand it is very flexable. My question is can I use it before or after a switch? would I need to get a power over ethernet switch? Can I set it up like a laege centrix system?[/quote]

assuming by switch you mean phone switch ie pbx, either way depending on what you want to do. You could put it before to record calls or add features, after if you want to keep your existing pbx intact but just use a plug in voice mail system or something.

no you dont need a PoE switch, unless you want your phones to have PoE. Most phones either come with their own power brick or support a power brick of some kind. The ones that dont have an available PoE brick.

Yes you can turn asterisk into a centrix if you want :smile:[/quote]

thank you. Do you know anyone that has set up Asterisk as a centrex system and what does the design look like? (high level)

not personally but i can offer some suggestions…

first use contexts and macros, they are your friend. If extensions should ring for 20sec then go to voicemail, use a macro for that. The macro can figure out which business it is by a variable. Contexts keep your customers separated.

Sip.conf should probably be realtime (loaded from database instead of .conf file), especially if you have lots of phones.

Never disable canreinvite (canreinvite=no) unless you have to. It will reduce your bandwidth usage immensely. When configuring a customer, make sure their NAT router allows loopback and each phone must be on a separate SIP port. Phones must also use unique RTP ports.

For your incoming call context, you should have 1-2 exten=>'s for each number (DID), it should set a variable to tell which business it’s for and then Goto() a context for that business. Contexts should be labelled [bizname-whatever] to keep them unique. Macros can often be reused, such as stdexten.

The convenient thing about PoE is that you dont’ have to deploy power to each phone individually using plugs. The phones can pull the power off of the ethernet. There are arguements for every case, but I like being able to put a UPS on a single switch to keep power to the phones. Much easeier to manage.