Flowroute, Asterisk and Zoiper Communicator

Flowroute provides my external connection for Asterisk. The flowroute folks say it is successfully connected. And I have the Zoiper Communicator softphone sitting on my desktop successfully registered with the Asterisk box. The Asterisk box is still a boat anchor since I still have not been able to connect two “telephones” together which I understand is the primary Asterisk purpose. Correct?

So, what have I done wrong? I used the Elastix distro. (Quite frankly I am disappointed in Elastix since it does not report anything useful in this problem resolution task.) What other Asterisk configuration parameters do I need to make this connection happen? For Zoiper and Flowroute, here are my two set of Asterisk parameters:

Zoiper Communicator softphone

placed in sip_general_custom.conf

[sip.zoiper2]
username=sip.zoiper2
secret=my_pass234
context=zoiper_tests
type=friend
host=dynamic
callerid=8765431

Placed in voicemail.conf

501 => 4242,Example Mailbox,myemail@server.com
502 => 7474,Example Mailbox 2,myemail2@server.com

Placed in extensions_custom.conf

[zoiper_tests]

exten => 1001,1,Dial(SIP/sip.Zoiper2,20)
exten => 1001,2,VoiceMail(501@default)
exten => 1001,n,HangUp()

exten => 111001,1,Answer()
exten => 111001,2,VoiceMailMain(501@default)
exten => 111001,n,HangUp()

Flowroute connection

Added the following to the sip_general_custom.conf
allow=ulaw
allow=g729

register => userNumber:Password@sip.flowroute.com

Add the following to sip_custom_post.conf
[flowroute] ;keep this lowercase, do not change format
type=friend
secret=Password
username=UserNumber
host=sip.flowroute.com
dtmfmode=rfc2833
context=inbound ;change to ‘ext-did’ or ‘from-trunk’ for asterisk@home
canreinvite=no
allow=ulaw
allow=g729
insecure=port,invite
fromdomain=sip.flowroute.com

Added the following to extensions_custom.conf

[outgoing]
exten => _1NXXXXXXXXX,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@flowroute)
;Send NANPA (USA) as 11 digit
exten => _011.,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN:3}@flowroute)
;dialing format - SIP/{countrycode}{number}@flowroute

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Asterisk connects two telephones for the vast majority of users, suggesting it cannot won’t win you friends.

You need to start by providing verbose level 3 or more output from the CLI. If that is not obvious, we would want a SIP protocol trace.

Do you have enough G.729 licences?

type=friend and insecure=,port are generally bad security, but won’t stop things working.

You might get more responses on the Asterisk Support forum, as this is as support question.

On re-reading, I see a …custom file, so you actually want the support forum for the Asterisk GUI that you are using.

Thanks David,

I guess my attempt at humor directed at Asterisk is a hot-button in the Asterisk community? I see great benefits in using Asterisk. It just seems to be extremely easy to provide configuration parameters and very difficult to provide them correctly.

I will post to the support forum since I make the configuration changes directly on the Linux box.