First Step to an Asterisk system

I have been researching for awhile and I am very certian That I want to move my small business to *. The first step has been to get some form of “high speed” IP to the office. This has been much harder then thought due to my rural location. But I have now scheduled for January the following digital line via a telco company. 5 voice lines, and 768 down / 348 up IP.

What I am not clear about is what the telco will be supplying me with. I know that they will be bringing a T1 at least to the pole, but from there they my be using some form of DSL to my office. I will try and get this info but the sales person is not all that techincal.

The question I have is “Are there interface cards (PCI) that can take DSL inputs with an asterisk sever?”. I know there are cards for T1/E1’s.

Thanks in advance

you need to clarify what exactly you are getting before you order. that will be the gating item.

Chances are you are getting POTS lines and DSL (more likely)
They will run at least 6 pairs into your building. 5 of these will be analog POTS voice lines, the other one will be ADSL.
Your ADSL modem will include the functionality of or will connect to a router. The router provides NAT (shares the connection) for your office. This then goes to a switch that all the computers (including *) connect to. Asterisk, and your computers, will connect via Ethernet. Many DSL companies provide a combined CPE (customer premesis equipment) device which combines a modem, router, and 4 port switch into one box.
You will also get 5 normal, analog telephone lines, for which you will need FXO ports (digium/sangoma card)

The other possibility is that you are getting a PRI (T1) direct to your office. They will run one pair into your building and plug it into some kind of device, which will probably give you an ethernet port and several analog phone ports. If this is the case you want to probably do without the device as you can run the digital PRI straight into *.

First step though is to figure out what you’re getting and you can go from there. If it’s dsl, ask how much it might be to just run you the PRI and go with that?

I know i’m new here but I been in Telecom for a while. It sounds like they are bringing in 5 POTS lines and a ADSL line.

If it was an Integrated T1 the up and down speed would be the same.

Integrated T1’s are not brought in as PRI, they are brought in as regular 24 channel T1’s and then the channels are broke down into Voice and Data. You can have a Integrated T1 with a PRI link, but its really just “emulating” a PRI using the equipment on either side of the circuit (the LEC’s switch and the IAD device installed on the clients side).

I’m not sure how rural your area is, but if its really remote, bringing in a Integrated T1 might be very expensive. It depends on your distance from the closest CO.

why dont you just kill the pots lines , save yourself money. just bring in 1 pots line for backup and get VOIP on the DSL line. I am in the same situation now , settingup a set with good broadband or voiceservice in the Sticks!. its not easy

One step at a time. I am in a strip of business in a VERY rural location. I finally found someone willing to put in the equipment to get a “T” to the pole. Their plan is to share it with the other bussiness near me otherwise I could not have afforded to get any form of Broadband. As for droping the POTS line, not until I am sure I have a reliable and tested digital path. In the comming setup the telco will be responsible 24/7 for the POTS, where as if I rolled the dice and went pure IP using * I would have no support for any issues.

I am not sure but the telco my use a ‘fractional’ T from the Pole to my office. I am trying to find out exactly.

As to anyother choice they were 5 to 10 times more expence. I am getting unlimited local in/out, 3500 min LD, and Toll Free at 3.2/min for $182.67/month. This includes all fees and taxes. My current LD is running apx 240 to 280 a month so I should save $ and get some IP. Once I have that I will get * deployed and down the road I may go all IP only. The trick is not to kill the business in the process.