Just installed Asterisk 1.2.4 on a box with RHEL 4.0, below are few tips to make it easier for others:
I found that working with Fedora core 4 is much easier, but we need to move to RHEL due to marketing demand.
The box is a Dell 2850 with Dual Xeon CPUs.
The Digium card used is TE210P.
Uname –a shows:
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.9-34.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Feb 24 16:54:53 EST 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Note: I used the update 3 (the last one) of RHEL, and of course the SMP (for dual cpus)
First had to add a couple of packages that do not come with RHEL 4:
up2date gcc (no joke RHEL comes with no gcc)
Had to install Kernel sources: Kernel devel:
Had first to run up2date --configure - remove the restriction on kernel* modules
Then: up2date kernel-smp-devel
More up2dates on some packages needed to compile Asterisk
Had to create the following soft link:
ln -s …/…/…/usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-34.EL-smp-i686 build
Had to edit spinlock.h in /usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-34.EL-smp-i686/include/linux
See Bugzilla Bug 180568
The file spinlock.h need the following modification:
#define DEFINE_RWLOCK(x) rw_lock_t x = RW__LOCK_UNLOCK
is modified to:
#define DEFINE_RWLOCK(x) rwlock_t x = RW__LOCK_UNLOCK
Started compiling libpri, zaptel, asterisk, asterisk-addons, asterisk-sounds
(Not the scope of this tip)
Hope it helps.