Expand.c:489 error building zaptel-1.4.0

I keep getting an error saying the following when building zaptel-1.4.0 on redhat kernel 2.4.20-8.

expand.c:489: allocated_variable_append: Assertion ‘current_variable_set_list->next != 0’ failed
make: *** [all] Aborted

I tried following the directions in the FAQ about rebuilding the redhat kernel with the running config as well as recreating the linux links but to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas what I might be missing here and how I can get this to complete? I don’t have problems building the other modules.
Thanks.

the last line right before the expand.c:489 line is:

gcc gendigits.c -lm -o gendigits

Thanks for any help.

I had the same error. Did you find how to solve this issue ?

Thanks

Unfortunately I have not been able to solve it. I had to go back to version 1.2. I didn’t get the error on this version.

After going with zaptel 1.2.12 due to this error, I tried to compile Asterisk 1.4.0, and ran into the same expand.c error. My system is 2.4.18-19.7.x (RedHat), gcc (GCC) 3.4.1.

make 3.79 has a bug. Download make 3.81 from gnu.org. Build it with “make install”. This puts the new version in /usr/local/bin, and keeps the original version in /usr/bin.

Then, run “/usr/local/bin/make install” in the zaptel and asterisk directories. This forces the build with the 3.81 version of make.

Thanks a lot, nmarkiw. Now I get over expand.c problem in both programs. But after make install under zaptel-1.4.0, modprobe complains

It was installed over zaptel-1.2.12, which actually loaded successfully.

do you have a difference in the kernel you’re running and the sources that zaptel is looking at when compiling ?

I doubt it. Initially I suspected this, so I checked uname-r and even removed the directory under /lib/modules that contained a previous version, then made clean and recompiled. Currently I have only /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-19.7.x/, with symblnks /usr/src/linux-2.4 and /usr/src/linux pointing to same. I’m not sure what /usr/include/linux is for, only noticed that it gets updated by make install.

Besides, zaptel 1.2.12 is compiled under exactly the same condition and loads fine.

hi i am jay I keep getting an error saying the following when building zaptel-1.4.0 on redhat kernel 2.4.20-8.

expand.c:489: allocated_variable_append: Assertion ‘current_variable_set_list->next != 0’ failed
make: *** [all] Aborted

I tried following the directions in the FAQ about rebuilding the redhat kernel with the running config as well as recreating the linux links but to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas what I might be missing here and how I can get this to complete? I don’t have problems building the other modules.
Thanks.[/quote]