ERROR[3155] chan_zap.c: Signalling must be specified

Hello there,

I am a newbie to Asterisk, but have spent quite a bit of time reading reference materials and scraping the web for answers, and so far I can’t get past this error, so I was hoping I could find some help here.

Basically, I am running the AsteriskNOW appliance:

OS Version:
Linux srp-techserv.nrmdomain.com 2.6.22.13-0.1.gcc3.4.x86.i686 #1 Mon Nov 19 19:39:41 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Asterisk Build:
Asterisk 1.4.18.1
Asterisk GUI-version Revision: SVN-branches_asterisknow+r2546

Attached to the system is a Digium card with 4 FXO ports (I don’t know the specific model number), and I’ve attached a phone line to the first port in the card (and I’ve tried the other three). I am simply, at this point, trying to get Asterisk to answer the call, but all I get is endless ringing.

When the server boots, I get this error in the log:

ERROR[2336] chan_zap.c: Signalling must be specified before any channels are.

I believe that is at least one of my problems.

Here are my config files:

zaptel_guiRead.conf:

[general]
fxsks=1,2,3,4
loadzone=us
defaultzone=us

In all of my researching, I have not heard any mention of the file zaptel_guiRead.conf, but this was created by the AsteriskNOW install, so I assumed it was just a replacement for zaptel.conf…but at a loss of what to do, I have also created zaptel.conf which is exactly the same as zaptel_guiRead.conf

zapata.conf:

[general]
loadzone=us
defaultzone=us

[channels]
usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=no
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
echocancel=yes
echotraining=yes
context=incoming
signaling=fxs_ks
channel=1-4

I have also tried using the same config lines for [channels] for each separate channel, such as:

usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=no
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
echocancel=yes
echotraining=yes
context=incoming
signaling=fxs_ks
channel=1

usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=no
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
echocancel=yes
echotraining=yes
context=incoming
signaling=fxs_ks
channel=2

etc…again these are FXO ports.

I’ve also tried:

usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=no
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
echocancel=yes
echotraining=yes
context=incoming
signaling=fxs_ks
channel=1,2,3,4

I do have an incoming context in extensions.conf which will answer and echo the call.

I’m stumped because I believe I AM specifying the signaling BEFORE the channel by the lines:

signaling=fxs_ks
channel=1,2,3,4

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

The Digium card I’m using is a TDM400P.

hi

try renaming the file zaptel.conf and then restart and see what dmesg has to say.

Ian

Thank you Ian. I did figure out what the zaptel_guiRead.conf was all about. After deciding to restore the server using the disk, and take it back to the original settings, I saw that there were a bunch of warnings about the zaptel.conf being missing. The zaptel_guiRead.conf simply has a line in it to include zaptel.conf…which was missing!!!

Somehow the first time around I screwed it up. But now I added to zaptel.conf, and no longer get those errors. Once I added the following lines in [channels], I got the same error as before:

usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=no
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
echocancel=yes
echotraining=yes
context=default
signaling=fxs_ks
channel=1

Again…I AM specifying the signaling BEFORE the CHANNEL…Anybody…please help!!!

Ok…I may be an idiot here, but signalling is NOT spelled with two L’s! Apparently this is known among the Asterisk’s community…so have fun newb’s!! Spell signaling with two L’s! => signalling.

With that said…I still think Asterisk’s is pretty damn cool.

Hmm where did you go to school ? :wink:

Signalling ----OK according to firefox
Signaling -----Spelt wrong Firefox suggests “Signalling”

chambersharrap.co.uk/chamber … lla-search

Ian

actually both are correct…signaling with one l is typical for US English and signalling with two ll’s is typical for UK English…since I’m in the US, I just spelled it the way I expect it to be spelled. It wasn’t until my eyes really focused on how it was being spelled in the books that I realized I needed the extra l.